Keto & Calorie Deficits (Exercise)

labenton419
labenton419 Posts: 8 Member
Okay so I did a bit of due diligence and scrolled through 4 of the pages of existing discussions and didn't see anyone quite discuss my questions so here goes. I was wondering people's opinion/experience with different calorie deficits on keto?

I'm rounding out my second week on Keto and feel pretty fat-adapted (I know I need more sodium in my life though). And this week I re-incorporated my camp gladiator workouts (bootcamp/HIIT/etc.). My meal plan had me about 1450 calories a day, but I added in a couple tbsp of peanut butter pre-workouts to get me through them, putting me about 1650. Well, I ended up burning an average of 2400 calories each day this week. I felt good in my workouts (aside from the high HR I attribute to it being my first week back to these workouts, especially on keto) and slept like a log every night, but I'm worried this large a deficit will stall weight loss. Or will my body switch to burning the fat in my body when it's run out of fat from food??

Sorry so many questions! I checked the Keto-calculator and it says about 1686 calories for my burn expenditure would be a large but doable deficit, but to try it for two weeks...a moderate deficit would be at least 1800 calories and that scares me. If it helps, I'm a 5'0" female, currently sitting at 164 lbs, so I have the fat to lose (and I'm working to tone up for my wedding this year!)

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Whether you're eating keto or not, a body will switch to using body fat for energy when in a calorie deficit.

Are you losing weight? Are you losing weight at a pace you deem to be too rapid? You indicate you "feel good" and sleep well. Where did you get the 2400 calorie burn number? From a gadget/tracker? How long have you been using this tracker/gadget? I don't have one but have read over and over they might not be too accurate in the beginning and it takes a while to "adjust" to your personal routine.

I'm guessing/interpreting what you have written is your tracker is showing total utilization of 2400 calories per day and you are eating 1650 so have a deficit of 750 calories per day from exercise (based on eating 1650)? That's a 1.5 pound per week loss if everything is "working right". Intake of 1650 seems reasonable. Burning 750 calories above a sedentary level seems somewhat reasonable (though I perceive it to be high) for your activity though I have no knowledge of "Camp Gladiator Workouts", your duration or your intensity when doing them. Certainly I doubt you are burning 2400 just in exercise but I don't think that is what you've indicated?.

I concur with what you read elsewhere...try it for a couple of weeks and see what happens regarding weight given your goal is weight loss. In the end, your numbers and how you feel overall should be the best gauge. If you do in fact burn 2400 total calories per day based on BMR and exercise, eating 1800 calories per day is not unrealistic either. It could still result a weight loss of slightly over a pound a week which in my mind is more reasonable. Are you hungry on 1650?

lashley419 wrote: »
    Okay so I did a bit of due diligence and scrolled through 4 of the pages of existing discussions and didn't see anyone quite discuss my questions so here goes. I was wondering people's opinion/experience with different calorie deficits on keto?

I'm rounding out my second week on Keto and feel pretty fat-adapted (I know I need more sodium in my life though). And this week I re-incorporated my camp gladiator workouts (bootcamp/HIIT/etc.). My meal plan had me about 1450 calories a day, but I added in a couple tbsp of peanut butter pre-workouts to get me through them, putting me about 1650. Well, I ended up burning an average of 2400 calories each day this week. I felt good in my workouts (aside from the high HR I attribute to it being my first week back to these workouts, especially on keto) and slept like a log every night, but I'm worried this large a deficit will stall weight loss. Or will my body switch to burning the fat in my body when it's run out of fat from food??

Sorry so many questions! I checked the Keto-calculator and it says about 1686 calories for my burn expenditure would be a large but doable deficit, but to try it for two weeks...a moderate deficit would be at least 1800 calories and that scares me. If it helps, I'm a 5'0" female, currently sitting at 164 lbs, so I have the fat to lose (and I'm working to tone up for my wedding this year!)

• Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    edited March 2018
    back in november/december 2017 i done pretty heavy workouts (similar to HIIT) while having a deficit of 1000 or more and still eating around 1650 kcal.

i lost bodyfat quite fast and with enough time to recover, i really can say: i never enjoyd in endurance sport that much, as now while in keto.

so yes, once adapted you burn bodyfat.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I'm just not hungry on Keto so I eat around the same calories (1300-1400) every day, regardless of what I burn.
  • labenton419
    kpk54 wrote: »

Are you losing weight? Are you losing weight at a pace you deem to be too rapid? You indicate you "feel good" and sleep well. Where did you get the 2400 calorie burn number? From a gadget/tracker? How long have you been using this tracker/gadget? I don't have one but have read over and over they might not be too accurate in the beginning and it takes a while to "adjust" to your personal routine.

I'm guessing/interpreting what you have written is your tracker is showing total utilization of 2400 calories per day and you are eating 1650 so have a deficit of 750 calories per day from exercise (based on eating 1650)? That's a 1.5 pound per week loss if everything is "working right". Intake of 1650 seems reasonable. Burning 750 calories above a sedentary level seems somewhat reasonable (though I perceive it to be high) for your activity though I have no knowledge of "Camp Gladiator Workouts", your duration or your intensity when doing them. Certainly I doubt you are burning 2400 just in exercise but I don't think that is what you've indicated?.

I concur with what you read elsewhere...try it for a couple of weeks and see what happens regarding weight given your goal is weight loss. In the end, your numbers and how you feel overall should be the best gauge. If you do in fact burn 2400 total calories per day based on BMR and exercise, eating 1800 calories per day is not unrealistic either. It could still result a weight loss of slightly over a pound a week which in my mind is more reasonable. Are you hungry on 1650?

The calorie burn is from my Fitbit, and I've been using this one for just under a year now. I would like to think it's pretty accurate. The duration of Camp Gladiator is an hour, the intensity varies from week-to-week based on one of four themes: endurance, strength & agility, HIIT, and peak. This past week was technically endurance but my heart rate was more in peak range, which I've read on a lot of different blogs is normal in the first few weeks of keto. And you are correct, I did mean 2400 was the average daily not just from exercise. I have not been hungry really on 1650 this week, except for when I wake up in the mornings. I suppose I'll try it for another week and see how my body handles it. Maybe sneak in some extra calories here and there as needed.
  • labenton419
    This is all VERY good to hear. When I tried other weight loss plans my body would stall if I didn't eat enough foods when exercising regularly and a lot so I wasn't sure if it being fueled by something different would change this.
    back in november/december 2017 i done pretty heavy workouts (similar to HIIT) while having a deficit of 1000 or more and still eating around 1650 kcal.

i lost bodyfat quite fast and with enough time to recover, i really can say: i never enjoyd in endurance sport that much, as now while in keto.

so yes, once adapted you burn bodyfat.

• Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    be sure you take enough minerals! salt, magnesium and potassium.

i made mistake, or lets say i need with heavy sweating workouts over hours much more minerals as before!