New to DDP Yoga - Leg Issues

Options
I sustained a tibial plateau fracture last year, and over the last couple of weeks I had been looking for something to do that would increase my strength. Last night I stumbled across a thread about logging DDP Yoga, and then I went to the website... watched the video about Arthur 4 times... and decided this is something I need to give a shot at.

To be completely honest... I downloaded it. I need to make sure I'm physically able to do the workout without massive pain in my leg before spending money on it. This leg has already cost me too much (aka 4 and a half months off work, etc, etc)!!

Today I did the Diamond Dozen video to get acquainted with the poses. It went pretty okay... except the poses where you have to kneel were pretty hard between the pain and the weird never damage feeling. Hopefully it'll come in time. I think maybe if I do the kneeling stuff on a folded up towel it might help? I'm going to go thought the Diamond Dozen again tomorrow with that and see if it helps. Definitely want to avoid bracing the knee, as that kinda defeats the purpose of the whole muscle engagement thing (and it won't really make kneeling any easier).

Anyway, my hopes are high. Will have to keep at it and see!

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking the jump into DDP Yoga.

And I completely understand about downloading it :)

DDP says it over and over again, make it your own! If something hurts in a painful way, not in a good way, then modify to something that does feel good.

I would definitely put a towel or something under your knees if this is the problem (I actually do this as for some reason it absolutely kills me to rest on my knees otherwise).

Yoga blocks could be a worthwhile investment for you too - arthur used them in the video - as it lowers the range of motion you need which may be kinder to your legs.

Good luck with everything - we're all here in case you need support!

Steph
  • treasured_one
    treasured_one Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did the Fat Burner video today and it went pretty well... Tried with a towel under my knees and it helped a tiny bit, but ended up doing most of the stuff standing. Still broke a sweat, so I'm good with that. haha

Luckily, I also already have a yoga block from when I tried some traditional yoga last summer before the accident (wasn't a fan). Didn't use it today, but then again, I'm still figuring out the moves and stuff. It'll come with time.

I am thinking that I'm going to have to wear contact lenses when doing the workout though... my glasses kept falling off whenever I was in a pose that I had to put my head down in. lol!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I know you don't want to wear a knee brace, but how about knee pads?

I use them in dance class if we're doing floorwork and they help me a lot (if I forget them I end up with black bruised knees for about a week!)

Fat burner and strength builder are my favourites :)
  • treasured_one
    treasured_one Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yea, I might look at knee pads soon... I was able to do some of it on my knees tonight, a little more than yesterday... but then again, I doubled the towel over one more time compared to last!!

So far I've just been doing fat burner. Want to get a little more comfortable with that one before mixing it up more. :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I broke my ankle and leg last year, and I'll say that DDP Yoga's been a lifesaver. I do the workouts on an obnoxiously hardwood floor, so I feel your pain there, as well. That part of it got better as I kept doing it (and after dropping weight).