Off-scale victory!

Options
NikaChartrand
NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
This victory is bittersweet but a victory nonetheless. When I first started keto, my husband was supportive but didn't join me on it (his choice that I was fine with.) Now due to diverticulitis and possibly celiac, he went on a low carb diet for a solid week starting last Monday, felt amazing, then ate all the carbs on the weekend thinking it would be fine. This resulted in extreme pain and discomfort for almost two days. He came to me on Sunday (yesterday) after he uncurling himself from his blanket fort and asked me to teach him the keto way again since he had only been half listening the first time. I'm in no way saying I was happy to see him in so much pain. It hurt me to see him that way. I'm just happy he's low carb too because now I'm not keto-ing it alone in my household and because he's seriously making his health a priority.

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Glad he came on board, although it caused his discomfort. What a great NSV!!
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Boy is that going to make meal planning easier...
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You will love it! My husband and I both started 5-6 weeks ago and love doing this together! Good luck and happy cooking/eating together :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL. Sometimes I wish my house was LCHF too.

Has he had his celiac testing done yet? If not, don't let him go gluten free yet. Most celiac tests need 6-8 weeks of eating the equivalent of 1-2 slices of bread a day in order to get the most accurate results (which may only catch as few as 75% of all celiacs). If he cuts back on gluten it will make it harder, to impossible, to get a positive celiac test - most celiacs eventually test negative after being GF (for a few weeks to months).
  • NikaChartrand
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Has he had his celiac testing done yet? If not, don't let him go gluten free yet. Most celiac tests need 6-8 weeks of eating the equivalent of 1-2 slices of bread a day in order to get the most accurate results (which may only catch as few as 75% of all celiacs). If he cuts back on gluten it will make it harder, to impossible, to get a positive celiac test - most celiacs eventually test negative after being GF (for a few weeks to months).

He is going to ask his doctor this week for the test. I told him the same thing about the tests and the look on his face almost broke my heart. Honestly, I don't think he cares about the testing. It runs in his family and he felt so much better on LCHF.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    My hubby eats the LCHF meals I plan and we both cook but he still indulges in high carb foods and beverages too. I stopped trying to explain why he feels bloated etc because he refuses to acknowledge the connection.

Congrats to you and yours!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember that he doesn't have to have Celiac testing done. So little sensitivity things actually show up on the tests and all that. It's really not worth the torture he'd have to go through to get a positive test that doesn't mean much of anything...except words in black and white, etc.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

He is going to ask his doctor this week for the test. I told him the same thing about the tests and the look on his face almost broke my heart. Honestly, I don't think he cares about the testing. It runs in his family and he felt so much better on LCHF.

If you don't need a doc's/lab's confirmation of celiac disease for medical insurance purposes, why put him through that torture and damage? The 'remedy' is the same if you have been officially diagnosed, or if you just have symptoms - NO GLUTEN. If it runs in his family it is pretty certain that he also has it.
    bmjopengastro.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000159
    Summary box
    What is already known about this subject?
    ▸ Seronegative coeliac disease occurs in a small proportion of patients.

▸ The diagnosis and treatment of patients with seronegative coeliac disease pose a clinical problem.

What are the new findings?
    ▸ In patients with seronegative coeliac disease, homozygosity for HLA–DQ-B1*02 genotype is less frequent compared with patients with seropositive coeliac disease.

▸ Clinical, histological and laboratory parameters improved in patients with seronegative coeliac disease following a gluten-free diet trial.

▸ Natural history of patients with seronegative coeliac disease is similar to patients with seropositive coeliac disease.

How might it impact on clinical practice in the foreseeable future?
    ▸ Waiting for more sensitive serological markers, the diagnosis of seronegative coeliac disease remains a diagnosis of exclusion.

▸ A long-term gluten-free diet is still the best treatment option in patients with seronegative coeliac disease.

Lots more sci-lingo and references at the end of this study article. Good luck.
  • NikaChartrand
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

If you don't need a doc's/lab's confirmation of celiac disease for medical insurance purposes, why put him through that torture and damage? The 'remedy' is the same if you have been officially diagnosed, or if you just have symptoms - NO GLUTEN. If it runs in his family it is pretty certain that he also has it.
    bmjopengastro.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000159
    Summary box
    What is already known about this subject?
    ▸ Seronegative coeliac disease occurs in a small proportion of patients.

▸ The diagnosis and treatment of patients with seronegative coeliac disease pose a clinical problem.

What are the new findings?
    ▸ In patients with seronegative coeliac disease, homozygosity for HLA–DQ-B1*02 genotype is less frequent compared with patients with seropositive coeliac disease.

▸ Clinical, histological and laboratory parameters improved in patients with seronegative coeliac disease following a gluten-free diet trial.

▸ Natural history of patients with seronegative coeliac disease is similar to patients with seropositive coeliac disease.

How might it impact on clinical practice in the foreseeable future?
    ▸ Waiting for more sensitive serological markers, the diagnosis of seronegative coeliac disease remains a diagnosis of exclusion.

▸ A long-term gluten-free diet is still the best treatment option in patients with seronegative coeliac disease.

Lots more sci-lingo and references at the end of this study article. Good luck.

I don't want him to do it because of the pain it would put him in but he's in the military and he wants to get it done for his records. I am going to support him in his choice but I'm worried about it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I don't want him to do it because of the pain it would put him in but he's in the military and he wants to get it done for his records. I am going to support him in his choice but I'm worried about it.

Too bad, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I can certainly see why he'd do it though if the Military records need it. Here's another very good 35 page doc from the World Gastroenterology Organisation Global Guidelines:
    spg.pt/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2016-Celiac-Disease-1.pdf