sugar alcohols - is anyone else sensitive to them?

Options
dbhDeb
dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
I have tried several times and just bought a bunch of stuff and kept have stomach/digestive issues including pain and nausea. Is anyone else like this??

Makes me mad I cannot seem to tolerate them.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Tolerance to sugar alcohols is an individual thing. I personally have no issues with erythritol in any quantity, but even small amounts of either sorbitol or maltitol will tear me up (gastric issues).

You might check the labels and see if the products that you have all use the same sweeteners and if they do, scour for similar products that use different ones. Another suggestion would be to try liquid stevia - mots of these products are only cut with water and don't have any of the sugar alcohols to worry about. Fair warning tho, it only takes 2-3 drops for a sweet cup of coffee, so be careful when using it the first few times!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep. Malitol and sorbitol blow me up also. Maybe xylitol also? I figured that out long before my dieting days just chewing sugar free gum or using sugar free breath mints. Since eating low carb/keto I have switched to stevia (or erythritol as a blend with stevia in Truvia).
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I used to have major issues, but after learning that sugar alcohols cause insulin spikes, I have to steer clear. Yacon syrup was the only low carb sweetener that didn't bother me.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks friends -- It is just not worth it. Today I tried my coffee without sweetener. I am going to make myself get used to it. I don't love Truvia. Splenda I do fine with in my coffee. I am basically trying to reduce anything artificial right now to heal my gut. I have suffered with IBS amongst other things for too long. This is my grand experiment...if I don't feel any better after a while, I'll move on to other things.
  • brienne225
    brienne225 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I bought xylitol recently and added to my coffee... I was ecstatic how much it tasted like real sugar... finally I had found the right sweetener.... well until after an hour or so and bam!! I could barely make it to the bathroom! So yes I feel you on that.. slight nausea and major case of the runs on that. I’m going to try erithritol and see how that goes but I guess I’ll keep the xylitol if I ever get stopped up haha
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Different ones have different effects. And different amounts too. Trader Joe's has these sugar alcohol sweetened choclate bars, the taste is not even great, and they hurt my stomach for sure. For coffee, I use joe's or other zero carb sweeteners, they are made with splenda often but without the carbs it seems. Never had an issue with those. But actually, if you can get used to not having the sweet taste that probably is better in the long run.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with erythritol. I don't often use any of the other sugar alcohols. I don't sweeten my coffee or tea at all. I only use sweeteners when I bake which isn't terribly often. I eat Halo Top regularly which contains erythritol. I've never had any stomach distress with it.