BG Readings for Keto folks

Options
ccrdragon
ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
I really have no clue about this subject, but thought I would ask... sorry if this has been answered elsewhere...

What would be considered normal for a person that consumes almost no carbs (is there a normal that would be expected)? I tend to eat mostly carnivore - and have been fairly strict with carnivore the last two weeks.

The reason that I ask is that my better half has noticed that I drink a lot of water during the day and she is absolutely paranoid that I am turning diabetic (based on that observation alone). I did buy a meter and supplies a couple of days ago and my BG reading about an hour after eating last night was 80 and then this morning about 30 minutes after waking up was 79, which seem like good numbers on the face of them. I am just curious if they seem high for someone who is not eating carbs.
ch
Eta: I guess what I am really asking, is why would I have much of a BG reading if I am not eating carbs?

Replies

• klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Type 1 diabetic here.. so I know all too much about BG readings :)

A reading of 79-80 is really good, especially after eating. Generally, a non-diabetic person who eats carbs should have a BG of ~150 or less after eating. On a low carb/keto diet, I wouldn't be surprised for a post-meal reading to be under 100.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your last question.. "why would I have much of a BG reading if I am not eating carbs?" Any reading under about 60 would be considered hypoglycemia which can be dangerous, moreso for diabetics, but really for anyone. On keto you could comfortably be in the 50s with no issue, but much lower than that and you risk seizure/death.

You might be drinking more water since on keto you tend to flush out water more easily. Are you getting your electrolytes?

Hope this helps!
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hi dragon, I am/was T2db and though I don't really need to test any more I still do out of interest. I just had a quick look at my fasting (morning) reading and it is 80. According to the literature I was given upon diagnosis, That would be at the lower end of the ideal range. That being 72-106 for a fasting reading. And post meal anything up to 145 is considered acceptable.

Increased water consumption/use in keto is perfectly normal. As klenz mentions, make sure to keep your electrolytes up, sodium,magnesium etc.. Or the headaches and muscle cramps could be a real buzz kill.

As to why BG might go up without carbs, There is another recent thread in this group's section http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10649980/keto-insulin-and-inflammation-question/p1
    Which got me reading about Gluconeogenesis. https://optimisingnutrition.com/2017/06/03/why-do-my-blood-sugars-rise-after-a-high-protein-meal/
    Probably worth a read.
  • ccrdragon
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, just let my mind wander too far down the rabbit hole!
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that if you are eating that low carb you are probably in ketosis. Serum blood sugars run lower when you are in ketosis. Your blood sugar sounds fine. It really boils down to how you feel. If you are not having any issues - shakiness, sweats, etc. your blood sugar is good.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Those are pretty much ideal numbers.
  • ccrdragon
    Options
    I am happy with the numbers, I guess I was just wondering if extreme carnivore would drive the numbers lower. My wife is also happy with the numbers and happy to be wrong about my blood sugars.