calories in OMAD??

Fastcar012
Fastcar012 Posts: 13 Member
hi friends
I post somewhere here about me doing OMAD for a week and how i didn't lose any weight..:(
my question is do I need to count my calories in my one meal?? do u think it might be the reason I didn't lose weight??

Replies

• aleroache20
    aleroache20 Posts: 106 Member
    While I'm still a newbie myself, I'd say if you didn't lose weight that might be a good place to start. Sometimes we try to overcompensate for the lack of meals by overeating on our one meal. What could also help is looking at the meal posting thread to get a sense of how much other people are eating and what a "sensible" meal looks like.

Also, just give it time, some people's bodies are more stubborn than others and everyone's journey is different...even brothers. ;)

OMAD works and you can do this! Good luck on your journey... :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited March 2018
    Fastcar012 wrote: »
    hi friends
    I post somewhere here about me doing OMAD for a week and how i didn't lose any weight..:(
    my question is do I need to count my calories in my one meal?? do u think it might be the reason I didn't lose weight??

I replied about this in your other post :)
  • Fastcar012
    While I'm still a newbie myself, I'd say if you didn't lose weight that might be a good place to start. Sometimes we try to overcompensate for the lack of meals by overeating on our one meal. What could also help is looking at the meal posting thread to get a sense of how much other people are eating and what a "sensible" meal looks like.

Also, just give it time, some people's bodies are more stubborn than others and everyone's journey is different...even brothers. ;)

OMAD works and you can do this! Good luck on your journey... :)

thank u sweeti for ur sweet reply :)
    i'll check the meal posting thread right away:;
  • Fastcar012
    Fastcar012 wrote: »
    hi friends

I replied about this in your other post :)

going to check it now...and thanx for the reply hun :smiley:
  • DarthWaderMT
    DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
    Hello, I have been just using the one plate method, a nice alternative to counting calories, only 2 weeks on it and am losing weight already. here is a good short video explaining the concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfbWX1eIps
  • sunnycobayo
    sunnycobayo Posts: 236 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hi, there!

During my first month of OMAD, I didn't lose hardly any weight. I didn't necessarily track all of my calories, but my meals were very typical of what I've continued to eat (which comes to 1200~1300 kcal since I've started tracking). Not seeing any weight loss could truly be anything... it might be that you're unknowingly eating too much, but it could also be that your body is adjusting to this new eating style. I think for me--I was sick during my initial few weeks and taking antibiotics, plus I had my period (water retention city). These were all things that made me worry that I wasn't making progress, yet I was still noticing a change in how my clothes were fitting.

With all of that being said, my best advice would be to not worry, keep on chugging along, and maybe start tracking your calories for a week or two to get a better idea of just how much you are actually eating. Additionally, I'd recommend taking measurements or trying on an outfit and taking a picture of yourself in it once a week to see if it's fitting your better and/or if your body looks different in that outfit. I think that weight loss can be measured in more ways than just the number of pounds reflected on the scale, so it's good to have those other gauges on your radar.

Good luck, friend! :)

xx
  • Fastcar012
    Hi, there!

During my first month of OMAD, I didn't lose hardly any weight. I didn't necessarily track all of my calories, but my meals were very typical of what I've continued to eat (which comes to 1200~1300 kcal since I've started tracking). Not seeing any weight loss could truly be anything... it might be that you're unknowingly eating too much, but it could also be that your body is adjusting to this new eating style. I think for me--I was sick during my initial few weeks and taking antibiotics, plus I had my period (water retention city). These were all things that made me worry that I wasn't making progress, yet I was still noticing a change in how my clothes were fitting.

With all of that being said, my best advice would be to not worry, keep on chugging along, and maybe start tracking your calories for a week or two to get a better idea of just how much you are actually eating. Additionally, I'd recommend taking measurements or trying on an outfit and taking a picture of yourself in it once a week to see if it's fitting your better and/or if your body looks different in that outfit. I think that weight loss can be measured in more ways than just the number of pounds reflected on the scale, so it's good to have those other gauges on your radar.

Good luck, friend! :)

xx

thank u soooooo much...you don't know how much your words mean to me...I really was feeling down...your words left me up...thank you again dear friend...im gonna try the one plate meal maybe and maybe cutting down on the carbs a little bit...and I wont let the scale put me down...thanx again lovely friends...what a great uplifting community you are...im soo lucky I found you :-)
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    edited March 2018
    A great place to start is to eat one plate for your meal. Fill it up, but no taller than 3 inches high. If it fits in the plate your good. It is very hard to fill a normal plate with more than 1500 calories.

A lot of us that do count calories do it for different reasons, but not necessary. I didn't start counting calories until 7 months in.
  • Fastcar012
    Hello, I have been just using the one plate method, a nice alternative to counting calories, only 2 weeks on it and am losing weight already. here is a good short video explaining the concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfbWX1eIps

thanx for the tip...I think i'll try it..it will help me control my calories intake at least :wink:
  • sunnycobayo
    sunnycobayo Posts: 236 Member
    @Fastcar012 - You are most welcome! I can completely relate to those feelings of defeat and frustration; I was 100% there during that initial month when my weight wasn't dropping. It's comforting to know that people are here to support you and cheer you on. :)

If you haven't already, you should start an OMAD thread where you can post somewhat occasionally and let everyone see how you're doing. It's a great way to bounce ideas off one another and just generally allow folks to come together to send you those messages of encouragement. I'm not sure what your goals are, but it'd be my pleasure to support you in whatever way I can. <3

xx
  • Fastcar012
    @Fastcar012 - You are most welcome! I can completely relate to those feelings of defeat and frustration; I was 100% there during that initial month when my weight wasn't dropping. It's comforting to know that people are here to support you and cheer you on. :)

If you haven't already, you should start an OMAD thread where you can post somewhat occasionally and let everyone see how you're doing. It's a great way to bounce ideas off one another and just generally allow folks to come together to send you those messages of encouragement. I'm not sure what your goals are, but it'd be my pleasure to support you in whatever way I can. <3

xx

thank you sooooo much sunny for your support...it means the world to me <3<3<3
    and i'm gonna start a thread of my omad journey and post my pics..check me out dear friend :wink: <3

A great place to start is to eat one plate for your meal. Fill it up, but no taller than 3 inches high. If it fits in the plate your good. It is very hard to fill a normal plate with more than 1500 calories.

A lot of us that do count calories do it for different reasons, but not necessary. I didn't start counting calories until 7 months in.

I feel so relieved to find out that l'm not the only one who couldnt start by counting calories..
    and im gonna do ur tip Sammy :wink:
    thanx sweeti <3
  • bandwidthbandit
    bandwidthbandit Posts: 74 Member
    I may be in the minority here, as I started OMAD but microscopically tracking every calorie from go. 3 months into my journey, I am still pretty rigorous about weighing (not just measuring) most everything. I do agree it is hard to overeat using the one plate method, and I track mostly because it's interesting to me to see how the nutritional value/calorie I eat adds up in my head.

Also, it allows me to start to gain insight into my 'habits.' For instance, if I am famished one day 6-7 hours before my OMAD window one day, I can look back at my journal from the prevoius day and look for correlations. (Oh, I had a very carb heavy meal with 1/2 the protein I normally eat. I wonder if there is a connection there?) That, and I have to have a little something to obsess over, else I will drive myself to Insanity Lane.

I suppose the bottom line is if you stick to it, there are many ways to be successful with this way of eating. You just have to find what works for you and dive in headfirst. Good luck,and I'm looking forward to following your thread.
  • Fastcar012
    I may be in the minority here, as I started OMAD but microscopically tracking every calorie from go. 3 months into my journey, I am still pretty rigorous about weighing (not just measuring) most everything. I do agree it is hard to overeat using the one plate method, and I track mostly because it's interesting to me to see how the nutritional value/calorie I eat adds up in my head.

Also, it allows me to start to gain insight into my 'habits.' For instance, if I am famished one day 6-7 hours before my OMAD window one day, I can look back at my journal from the prevoius day and look for correlations. (Oh, I had a very carb heavy meal with 1/2 the protein I normally eat. I wonder if there is a connection there?) That, and I have to have a little something to obsess over, else I will drive myself to Insanity Lane.

I suppose the bottom line is if you stick to it, there are many ways to be successful with this way of eating. You just have to find what works for you and dive in headfirst. Good luck,and I'm looking forward to following your thread.

thank you bandwidthbandit sooo much for your encouraging words <3<3<3
    just woke up had a black coffee...still not sure what is my omad gonna be :blush:
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    a calorie deficit guarantees fat loss but there are many ways to get a deficit. You can count or not but you still need to get to a deficit. Good luck
  • alyripper
    alyripper Posts: 10 Member
    I have a problem of eatings a lot .. BIG MEALS! I would say, this how i plan to go about .. take a plate, fill in all the food i like to eat and decide earlier it self...Even the days i feel like have a date\almonds or sandwich from the left over the family had .. i would put in my plate..
    This works better.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    One-plate rule, my friend!

People do it because IT WORKS!

Also, it takes people varying amounts of time to lose. Not everybody will blast through the pounds like someone who is super-sized. Give it six weeks, and then you can call whether or not it works. If it still doesn (super-rare), you can follow my instructions on a water fast reset protocol.