Up 10 lbs, day 23 of reset...FREAKING

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
CAN'T FIT IN.ANY OF MY CLOTHES....FREAKING OUT, WANNA CUT....HANGING IN THERE, BUT NOT HAPPY. I HAVE 30 PAIR OF JEANS I CAN'T FIT IN NOW!!!!! 245 LBS IS TOO MUCH!!!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    up 10 lbs in 23 days.

If fat gained only.

10 x 3500 = 35000 excess calories / 23 days = 1522 daily excess.

So if that was even possibly fat that is gained, you'd have to be eating 1522 calories over your true current TDEE on average.

So unless your logging of food is really sloppy (Did I eat 1 BigMac or 3, oh, I'll log 1 - that type of sloppy), or you were eating total 800 calories daily and doing tons of cardio and massively screwed up metabolism prior, or you have medical problem of which you'd see symptoms too.

So have you started a new workout with this reset?

How did you estimate BMR and TDEE and activity level?

How did you increase calories, big jump of how much from prior eating, or slow increases of how much how often?

When and how much was last weight gain during reset, like was first 5 lbs the first week, and now 1 lb every so many days, or even increase each week?
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I was on several yoyo diets. No loss or gain for 8 months no matter what I did. Came to EM2WL already eating TDEE - used your spread sheet. And another calculator. I rarely go over, but have, and rarely eat big Mac foods. Had to get macros in order. Initial 3 lb gain. Went outs town last week and DID NOT eat enough, for sure. Was at a friend's house,. All of a sudden 5 lbs. So really my gain is 8 lbs. But I am so bloated......I usage added strength training, ride horseback, work on ranch a lot. TDEE set at 2450 lightly active. TOM is on its way too...sorry TMI...and I.am not up more then 1 week ago, just feeling really bloated and fat......drolinkingvtonsbof water, no soda or crap. Ahhhhhh
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Double check your numbers, and if all is correct just hang in there girl! Trust me, this is the hardest part.... Whatever you do, you don't want to quit right before the finish line!

I am going to copy a line from the EM2WL website that I have always thought is an excellent reminder:

QUOTE:
    "Recall how many times that you have yo-yo’d in the past, or regained the weight after reaching “goal” because you used unhealthy methods to achieve the goal. Remember that if you don’t gain now and fully recover, you will likely gain it later, going back to square one, still with a shoddy metabolism."
    END QUOTE

Step away from the scale and just commit to the 10 - 12 short weeks it usually takes for the body to stabilize. Remember, you are "re-training" your metabolism - teaching it what is "normal". Training takes time.

Hang in there girl - you are doing awesome!
  • heybales
    Options
    First, my example of BigMac was not the type of food, but rather the accuracy of logging. Pick any food, even the healthiest. If you don't log correctly, you could be eating more than you think.

So to that math.
    Eating 2450 (if you really hit it) minus what the surplus would be if truly all fat gain of 1522 = real TDEE of 928.

So were you really ever eating down at the under 1000 cal level while doing the type of exercise you do now?

That actually is possible to obtain, so as Anitra says, time to recover.

Can't really comment on more because you missed answering some questions I asked.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    First, my example of BigMac was not the type of food, but rather the accuracy of logging. Pick any food, even the healthiest. If you don't log correctly, you could be eating more than you think.

So to that math.
    Eating 2450 (if you really hit it) minus what the surplus would be if truly all fat gain of 1522 = real TDEE of 928.

So were you really ever eating down at the under 1000 cal level while doing the type of exercise you do now?

Can't really comment on more because you missed answering some questions I asked.

I thought I did answer. No, I am logging everything I eat, have gone over a couple times or 5, used your spreadsheet and another calculator to arrive at TDEE. Yes I started new workout program, strength training, made sure TDEE reflects those workouts. I am a lot confused about what you talking about though :) Thought we gett our TDEE , set our macros, start our workouts and eat.....I am not thinking I am doing it wrong, not looking for.a.solution to a problem. I am frustrated and was kinda just venting on that.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I appreciate the input everyone. I am confident I.am doing what I am supposed to do.....I.am just so.shocked at gain and the bloating I.feel....
  • heybales
    Options

So to that math.

I thought I did answer. No, I am logging everything I eat, have gone over a couple times or 5, used your spreadsheet and another calculator to arrive at TDEE. Yes I started new workout program, strength training, made sure TDEE reflects those workouts. I am a lot confused about what you talking about though :) Thought we gett our TDEE , set our macros, start our workouts and eat.....I am not thinking I am doing it wrong, not looking for.a.solution to a problem. I am frustrated and was kinda just venting on that.

Like Anitra said, just wanted to double check the numbers. Because there may indeed be, and still could be, a valid reason for slight increase that should be addressed.

So new workout means auto-water gain, mainly for muscle repair, especially while lifting.

At least no exercise better than while you could possibly be eating in slight surplus.
  • sassiebritches
    Options

So to that math.

Like Anitra said, just wanted to double check the numbers. Because there may indeed be, and still could be, a valid reason for slight increase that should be addressed.

So new workout means auto-water gain, mainly for muscle repair, especially while lifting.

At least no exercise better than while you could possibly be eating in slight surplus.

I have not gained in 1 week. I am stable at the initial 8lbs gained in now 25 days. I am almost positive the initial 3 lbs was from the re-introduction of carbs - was carb free almost (20g a day) for close to 8 months, and the other 5 came on after a week of being away and NOT eating enough cals at all. In addition, I started a workout routine...I am just hanging tight, not gonna freak, just gonna keep at it. Finding it so hard to get all my foods in somedays :( Thanks for all the info for sure. Just frustrating in the beginning and I am hearing much the same from others just starting out.....stay the course!!!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sassie you keep going... You are heading in the right direction!
  • larovers
    larovers Posts: 100
    Options
    This is exactly why I do not think this way of eating works. My fitness trainer had me doing this TDEE-15% and all I did was gain weight. And btw, it is not like I was ever restricting myself too much in the past either. I was not some 1200 calorie a day dieter. I think it works for some because they probably exercise and do not realize that they are burning much more than they think.
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    This is exactly why I do not think this way of eating works. My fitness trainer had me doing this TDEE-15% and all I did was gain weight. And btw, it is not like I was ever restricting myself too much in the past either. I was not some 1200 calorie a day dieter. I think it works for some because they probably exercise and do not realize that they are burning much more than they think.

EM2WL works, but it often takes some time to get your numbers figured out correctly - this lifestyle will work for everyone but it does have to be geared to each individual specifically. I think, for those who feel it's not working, they really need to look at their specific numbers and just play around with them a little bit until they find what does work for them.

The same way that we can lower calorie intake further and further to "break plateaus" and then our body adapts, we can do this in reverse. But again, it requires a patience, gradually upping calories slowly over time to push the metabolism higher.

So even if we are maintaining on lower numbers, it doesn't necessarily mean that we should *stay* there ... you can increase your calories until you stabilize, then increase again - always challenging the metabolism to go higher.

Just like you can *train* your body to believe that eating 1000 calories (or less) is normal through years of VLCDieting, you can *train* your metabolism that 2000 (or thereabouts) is normal by employing the philosophy of EM2WL. It does work, you just have to be willing to give it the time it needs and work to find *your* numbers...
  • Noni2863
    Noni2863 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You are EXACTLY where I was in April right down to that horrible double digit increase and the freak!

3mths later and I have taken 6lbs back off;
    decreased my body fat;
    increased my lean body mass and BMR;
    and most important of all - my measurements are now the lowest they have ever been!
    I am now happily losing slowly & steadily at TDEE less 15%

Listen to Anitrasoto , ANewLucia and heybales. They really know what they are talking about.
    They told me to stick with it and they were right.

You can do this and it is sooooo worth it!
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am stable here at this 8lb gain......not losing it....yet. Sticking with EM2LW, not giving up. I hate being this size but I understand the process and I know that 245 is not where I will be forever........hangin tough at TDEE at least another 8 weeks.
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am stable here at this 8lb gain......not losing it....yet. Sticking with EM2LW, not giving up. I hate being this size but I understand the process and I know that 245 is not where I will be forever........hangin tough at TDEE at least another 8 weeks.

You go girl - sounds like your mind is in the right place!
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I have not been doing my HIIT like I should. But bought some great foods this month and I am planning on getting through this season........this to shall pass <3
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    From someone who has spent the last year+ trying to get the scale to move in the right direction, I have given up on it. Last I checked my scale went up about 10 pounds and that was over the course of about 8 weeks, after a year long reset and cutting phase. As you can see from my picture on the side, even with a gain on the scale, I dont look like it. As many of the gals here have spent the better part of a year trying to convince me of - throw away the scale. Concentrate on your clothes, your measurements and lifting heavy. Get your eating in check, eating the right kind of foods and getting the stress levels down. Stress will cause weight gains..

Keep doing what you are doing. Think of it this way.. Wouldnt you rather be eating this much food and be happy and energetic and feel good, over eating lower levels, having no energy hair falling out and just be plain miserable??