SwimTrek Advice

Options
sarabushby
sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
Hi Swimmers...

I am really keen to book a Swimtrek (or similar) holiday but aware that my swimming is not yet at the right level of endurance. Most of the 6-day trips are around 5km daily swimming split into 2 swims.

I have done a 5km river swim a few years ago, I swim usually just twice a week as I am training for my second half-Ironman. So my fitness levels are fairly good, usual pool swims are 2-2.5km distance. Speed is ok, around 7min/400m.

My question is... if I try to build up my endurance, how soon is realistic to get something booked? Is building up swimming like running, in that in order to avoid injury you should not increase total weekly distance by more than 10% at a time? Or do you think I can build it up quicker? My concern is I wouldn’t want to get a shoulder injury. My upper body is quite weak, press ups are not very doable and pull ups a complete no-no.

Thanks if anyone has any experience of these holidays or building up your mileage, I’d love some advice.

Ps ... no idea how I’ll fit this in with my cycling & running but hey!

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    From experience dramatic increases can lead to shoulder problems. Some of that probably depends on what sort of swimming base you have. If you are swimming 4-5km a week in total, I would probably want to get that up to a comfortable 12-15 per week before I'd consider an endurance trek or similar. Is it feasible for you to fit that amount of swimming into your lifestyle?

PS I am a competitive swimmer and can't do even one pullup lol.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thanks @emmab0902
    It could be tricky to fit that in with my running & cycling but my main A race is end of July so maybe if I can build the distance of each swim between now and then, adding an extra swim per week if possible, then as soon as that race is done start adding another swim to really get the mileage up a bit.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    I am a competitive swimmer and can't do even one pullup
    In school I was one of the most athletic, I was a competitive swimmer, good distance runner. I could do 0 pull ups!

• zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @sarabushby Seems to me that you are more than ready to go. The challenge might be more about feeling comfortable in Open water, in vast amount of water, with marine life, and dealing with surf or currents. You def seem to have the endurance. 2.5k distance per swim seems doable. Plus if it s a vacation swimtrek (vs. a race swimtrek), you ll be stopping during the swim to enjoy the scenery. Finally, the OW swimming community is very supportive and other more experienced swimmers will surely buddy up with you. Have fun!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I have never been able to do even one unassisted pull up. Back when we had the Presidential Physical Fitness tests in school the gym teachers seemed to enjoy encouraging the entire class to laugh at me.
    I've never been a competitive anything athletic, but I have found my love of swimming.
    I am in awe of the complex drill sets some post here.
    My only involvement in triathlons was volunteering to direct the cyclists at road junctions. :D
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

I have never been able to do even one unassisted pull up. Back when we had the Presidential Physical Fitness tests in school the gym teachers seemed to enjoy encouraging the entire class to laugh at me.
    I've never been a competitive anything athletic, but I have found my love of swimming.
    I am in awe of the complex drill sets some post here.
    My only involvement in triathlons was volunteering to direct the cyclists at road junctions. :D

I did the swim leg of a tri sprint last month and volunteered on corners directing bike traffic during Saturday training bricks. A week after the tri sprint event I bought a used bike for the first time in 30 years and will do couple of full events next summer, sprint distance. Like you, still figuring out how to fit it all together. Have fun if you revisit this thread!