Easter Treat - what we learned

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I talked myself into bad snackies (large bag of S&V kettle chips) while I was on patrol this weekend. A mistake - one I know well by now, but it was an IDGAF sort of night. Ahhh well, hop back on. Unfortunately, I don't get very ill when I go off plan. Sometimes I think it would be easier to not stray if I did feel that horrible. I NEVER cheat on my Celiac diet, I should be able to do this better too.

@canadjineh - I so feel you. I hear folks going on about these horrible side effects, and I know it is so weird, but I WISH I had all that. Maybe then, things would be an actual deterrent... :'(

That being said, all, I personally recommend journaling or recording a message to yourself at the height of your misery, recording all the gruesome details, all the pain, the stomach issues, etc.

I've been taking a weekend off after each month, and I'm just back from the most recent one. Each time I get all that indigestion and bloating and the food is never as good as I thought it would be and I start to feel all out-of-control and binge-y and I don't like it...

...but then I do another month straight of keto and I start thinking it'll totally be different this time and I should just eat the cookie. :)

I think, in other words, that it can be good to experience that let-down from time to time, because otherwise it's easy to re-shape it in your mind. Sometimes we have to check in with what we're "missing out on" in order to remember that we don't really miss it that much. As long as it's not too often and doesn't become a creeping habit, it can just be a part of the process, right?

And as @FlyingMolly says, it's so easy for the brain to just...remember the good parts... I maintain that this is the same mechanism that allows parents to resume intimacy after childbirth...(especially if traumatic, etc.)...it is the body's natural mechanism to minimize the bad stuff and create "blurry, happy" memories of the good parts, else we might live in a perpectual fight or flight state of fear, etc.
  • miche173
    miche173 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish I had the feel bads after carbs, but I don’t really notice much (except of course the weight gain). I did great on Easter, ham, deviled eggs, and green beans. Then, I was home alone yesterday and ate banana bread
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    We were head deep in taxes on Easter Sunday for a Monday appointment so nothing special to eat was made and I just don't purchase candy since I am the only one here who would eat it.

I've not been binge free over my last 4 years on MFP. A treat here and there has never bothered me physically. I have to go face 1st in a tub of ice cream or eat a whole batch/bag/box of sweet whatever...and then I get noticeably sluggish/lethargic a few hours afterwards and that remains well into the next day. I have no clue if carbohydrates in something like pasta or rice would do the same because I've not gone overboard on those.
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know that I'm not in control yet - or does that ever come? My mouth still starts to drool when thinking of having a brownie, or roll or a cookie or an ice cream. Be right back I have to wipe the drool off lol.. Seriously though does it ever get better? Almost to my 7 weeks in keto.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    janette130 wrote: »
    I know that I'm not in control yet - or does that ever come? My mouth still starts to drool when thinking of having a brownie, or roll or a cookie or an ice cream. Be right back I have to wipe the drool off lol.. Seriously though does it ever get better? Almost to my 7 weeks in keto.

For me it was a few weeks - maybe two - before I lost the cravings. At least part of the bad eating habits are behavioral and not a physical craving though. I guess it depends on the individual.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Chocolate bunnies at an insanely cut-rate price.....waaaaah!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Wanting something for 7 weeks and declining to eat it sounds like control to me!

I haven’t, like forgotten that tater tots are delicious, personally. But there’s an interruption now between imagining the sensation of eating something I want and actually picking it up to put it in my mouth. I haven’t ever been able to separate those two behaviors in my entire adult life—longer, actually—so for me that’s a huge win.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Something to remember, too, @janette130, is that the further you get in to your plan, the stranger and more different foods will taste. You'll suddenly realize that carrots themselves are really sweet, and a preferred item is sickeningly sweet now, to the point of wanting to spit something out.

However, some foods are that magic dopamine hit of sweet, salty, and fatty. They hit that craving point and give us an artificial mood boost that sometimes we just crave. The dopamine craving and reaction is a real thing, it's a chemical brain thing.

So please, please don't think that this is all about willpower and that you're just weak, because the real truth is that it is not that simple! If it was all that simple, the truth is that it is very likely NONE of us would have ever gotten to where we are today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80c3VTbIiYE

This video is a real help in that perspective, as well as to work on picking up techniques to help you fight that pull. I'm not suggesting AT ALL that we abdicate all personal responsibility, but I think there is a certain freedom in acknowledging that there is a chemical brain reaction, and that brute force willpower is not the answer to that...or at least no alone...

So give yourself a break, ditch the guilt, and focus on what you can...
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

This might just be me but I've found the more I try to control or stick to a very rigid extreme in anything I tend to give in to the temptation of whatever that extreme is. I know my brain is hardwired to always want green chile chicken enchiladas and green chile double cheese burgers with fries plus every donut and eclair I see elicits a "must have now" response in my brain. Knowing that, I will look at finding other low carb options that can satisfy that craving even if they might be a little higher in carbs than I like. It's weird but allowing myself to say "No" has helped a great deal, I was offered some Twix yesterday and I just said "no thanks" even though my initial response in my head was the exact opposite. It's almost mantra like, by saying "no thanks" aloud it pushed that initial internal response aside. Plus if you decline bad food offers enough people stop offering.

I think individually we all have to define just what "control" means and how to incorporate that into our lives.

Some foods will always be ingrained in my psyche but knowing that and knowing what they are has helped me navigate my reactions towards food and if I falter I know how to get back to where I was because it wasn't so extreme I just want to give up, if that makes sense.

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I just bloat when I add back carbs sometimes indigestion. This is a lifestyle for me though and it has to fit for the long run. I've waxed poetic in the past about eating the "once in a lifetime time" or "special" foods. Food traditions are important to all cultures. But, be honest. Not all food is special. ;) It's easy to think it is.

We returned to Arizona last week for a long over due visit and I ate all the things I can't get at home. Yes, more "Carby" than usual but I've also signifixantly reduced the quantity I eat over the years so that has a huge impact on the lack of impacts.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I didn't do too too bad on Easter..could have been worse BUT the sugar cravings are awful. And unfortunately the only ill effects I ever get is out of control sugar cravings and water weight gain. I really wish I got stomach discomfort and maybe then I'd be a little better next time. :#
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your insight, encouragement and educating me - Loved the video and started following her :)