Day 4: Feedback on my macros please!

Options
bikini_bug
bikini_bug Posts: 15 Member
Hello all! This is such a valuable community for me as I embark on my new Keto based lifestyle. I’m on day four, feeling good, yet want to seek more ways to optimize my dietary needs. Here’s me in a nutshell:

5’6” and 142 lbs
Ashtanga yoga and biking four/five days a week.
Here to improve my strength and stamina for better surfing (I surf for a week, 2-3X a day, every three months).
Near term goal: Lose 7 lbs within 5 weeks, improve stamina and strength (via ashtanga and biking).

Based on the Perfect Keto calculator, my daily macros are 15g carbs, 60g protein and 100g fat, and 1204 calories.

While I’m still adapting to these numbers, so far I’m feeling pretty good (amazing energy levels, clear cognitive function, more definition). Only issues are 1) I do tend to get cold hands and feet and 2) I’m desiring more variety in my diet without exceeding my macros/ calories!

My daily avocado tends to take up most of my carb macro so I’m reducing onions and garlic to make up for it.

Can somebody take a look at my plan and let me know if it’s a healthy/reasonable plan? Do you think my calories are too low? What can I do to combat cold and “menu boredom”?

Finally, I’m open to new friends (not here to date please). Please add me. :-)

Thanks all!

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm sure others will answer with more science but based on your physical output your protein level is way too low. I'd add more protein and take off some fat grams. Also are you doing net or total carbs? If total then your carbs are low as well and not really allowing you any vegetables. Onions by the way are quite a high carb vegetable, leafy greens are better value for your carb buck, as it were. Over to others who know more!
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    Hi, I'm sure others will answer with more science but based on your physical output your protein level is way too low. I'd add more protein and take off some fat grams. Also are you doing net or total carbs? If total then your carbs are low as well and not really allowing you any vegetables. Onions by the way are quite a high carb vegetable, leafy greens are better value for your carb buck, as it were. Over to others who know more!

Thanks for your input! I’m not sure whether it’s net or total carbs. I just took the number recommended to me and track it in the app as is. I think it’s likely total carbs since tracking net carbs will likely require some adjustments to the app, but thanks for pointing that out to me. I’d be thrilled to increase my carb macro and give me more wiggle room for leafy veggies!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Personally, being a similar size as you, I would eat a bit less fat and more protein. I aim for 1340 calories a day and have lost successfully but generally go over on protein and just use fat as needed. My diary is open if you want to check it out. I get plenty of fat from avocado, nuts, etc. but am careful about portion sizes.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    bikini_bug wrote: »

Thanks for your input! I’m not sure whether it’s net or total carbs. I just took the number recommended to me and track it in the app as is. I think it’s likely total carbs since tracking net carbs will likely require some adjustments to the app, but thanks for pointing that out to me. I’d be thrilled to increase my carb macro and give me more wiggle room for leafy veggies!

If you don't live in Europe it's likely to be total carbs assumed whereas here we deal in net carbs and that's what is on all our packaging so its easy for us!
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    Personally, being a similar size as you, I would eat a bit less fat and more protein. I aim for 1340 calories a day and have lost successfully but generally go over on protein and just use fat as needed. My diary is open if you want to check it out. I get plenty of fat from avocado, nuts, etc. but am careful about portion sizes.

Awesome, thanks for sharing your diary!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I agree, with your activity level as it is I would say more protein for sure. Maybe even more calories too, if exercising regularly. You want to preserve muscle and lean mass, and undereating - specifically undereating protein, will cause muscle loss.
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'll bet you could eat more and still lose if you wanted. Heck, I lost weight (averaging 1.25 pound loss/week) on 1200 at the age of 59 and am fairly confident I didn't have the youthful oomph you most likely have in your exercise and daily activity in general.

I think that calculator runs low in regards to calories. I plugged in my maintenance of 140, 5/6", female and age of 64 and it spit out 1328 calories to maintain at sedentary. I've found one other that I recall that was that low. Having averaged numerous calculators (because they differ slightly) to determine what I should eat for maintenance, the average for me is 1500 and I have maintained 4 years on 1500...not 1328.

I'm of the opinion the calculator means "net carbs". There is one place in the "How Many Carbs should I Eat" of that site that says something like "you will be eating 15-30 NET carbs per day". If you are desiring more variety in your diet (as you mentioned) add some leafy greens and other vegetables or berries. Raspberries are especially high in fiber and it looks like you may have changed your fiber intake from 21 to 25 indicating you desire more fiber? With something like raspberries (like avocado) you'll benefit with variety, low calories, net carbs and fiber.

I'm on the fence regarding protein. 60 is low compared to what many keto calculators (or other calculators) and a whole lot of people 'round the forums would recommend. Unless you have a medical disease/condition that limits protein (ie kidney disease), more protein shouldn't be harmful. If you want to up protein and stay at or under calories it would be really easy to do by dropping or limiting the coconut oil in your coffee or (what appears to be) your snack shake.

The calorie deficit is needed for weight loss. Macros are for fitness, health, personal preference, etc. A ketogenic diet is excellent for hunger suppression making adherence to low calories easier. Ketosis is not the CAUSE of weight loss. If being in ketosis caused weight loss, all the people who eat a ketogenic diet for their epilepsy would be in a constant state of weight loss. All the experts (Phinney, Volek, Westman, D'Agositino just to name a few) who eat a ketogenic diet for the health value would have wasted away to nothing if being in ketosis caused weight loss.

The wisdom of the experienced! Thanks for sharing your insightful commentary. I am a firm believer that age is but a number. I've seen older people with better stamina than me taking on full marathons. So much respect!

So, I ran my numbers again through a couple of other calculators and followed a couple of guidelines to help me optimize my plan (especially carbs and protein macros) to a healthier level. Here's what I ended up with:

1300 Calories (increased due to increased carbs and protein per below)
    20g Carbs (increased to recommended baseline level - will need to figure out tracking net carbs, vs. total carbs next!)
    80g Protein (increased based on 1g - 1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight)
    100g Fat (no change)

WDYT about this plan?

Personally, 1,300 calories still feels a little low to me, so, looks like there's leeway for me to up my protein level some and still improve my fitness and lose weight. Admittedly, eating more protein is a bit of a challenge for me, so I'll need to experiment with what the new quantity might look like without making me want to gag. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @bikini_bug I find the tweak more favorable for the increased calories, carbs (still lower than they probably need to be for both ketosis and weight loss ) and even the increased protein due to your desire to build strength. The low carb is what causes ketosis. The ketosis is believed to be what causes the suppressed hunger and diminished cravings. The calorie deficit is the cause of weight loss. There is another hypothesis about about insulin being the driver's seat of weight gain/loss. I don't dispute it but at 142 pounds and 5'6" with a few pounds to lose I really don't see a need for you to "go there" for weight loss.

If you're hungry at 1300 calories and or losing but faster than you prefer, up your calories. I've always been a fan of he/she who can eat the most and still lose satisfactorily wins. :) It's not a popular concept with some. ;)

I'm curious where you go every 3 months for a week to surf. I have a couple friends my age that live on the North Carolina coast who have been surfer dudes for decades. Another friend has a son who was raised in Illinois but came here (NC) in the summer, got hooked on surfing and has traveled the world...to surf. :)
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    @bikini_bug I find the tweak more favorable for the increased calories, carbs (still lower than they probably need to be for both ketosis and weight loss ) and even the increased protein due to your desire to build strength. The low carb is what causes ketosis. The ketosis is believed to be what causes the suppressed hunger and diminished cravings. The calorie deficit is the cause of weight loss. There is another hypothesis about about insulin being the driver's seat of weight gain/loss. I don't dispute it but at 142 pounds and 5'6" with a few pounds to lose I really don't see a need for you to "go there" for weight loss.

If you're hungry at 1300 calories and or losing but faster than you prefer, up your calories. I've always been a fan of he/she who can eat the most and still lose satisfactorily wins. :) It's not a popular concept with some. ;)

I'm curious where you go every 3 months for a week to surf. I have a couple friends my age that live on the North Carolina coast who have been surfer dudes for decades. Another friend has a son who was raised in Illinois but came here (NC) in the summer, got hooked on surfing and has traveled the world...to surf. :)

I love “s/he who can eat the most and still lose satisfactorily wins”. So apt for so MANY things, one to think of it!

North Carolina? Nice!! I have a friend who moved there from New York just to rebuild his life around surfing. Sounds like surf life IS A THING there. I’d love to visit and check out the culture myself...who knows, maybe NC could be my future as well. Do you surf? I go to Costa Rica and Mexico quite a bit. This year, I surfed Sri Lanka to welcome the new year and just got back surfing Costa Rica a week ago. :-)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    bikini_bug wrote: »

I love “s/he who can eat the most and still lose satisfactorily wins”. So apt for so MANY things, one to think of it!

North Carolina? Nice!! I have a friend who moved there from New York just to rebuild his life around surfing. Sounds like surf life IS A THING there. I’d love to visit and check out the culture myself...who knows, maybe NC could be my future as well. Do you surf? I go to Costa Rica and Mexico quite a bit. This year, I surfed Sri Lanka to welcome the new year and just got back surfing Costa Rica a week ago. :-)

Me surf? No. As close as I've gotten to surfing is a boogie board or hanging out on the beach watching the surfers while listing to old songs by Jan and Dean or the Beach Boys and reminiscing about Gidget movies and the likes of Moon Doggie and The Big Kahuna.
    cbeeccbpskfq.png

• GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing someone has said this, but I didn't see it upon skimming. Your avocado isn't as high in carbs as you think. To paraphrase Dr. Fung - carbs are the poison, but the fiber is the antidote. You deduct the fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs. An avocado that has 12g of carbs, also has 9g of fiber. So your net carbs is only 3g. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I would use this calculator. The one you used is more appropriate for a medically therapeutic keto diet which is not for body fat loss while working out to retain muscle.
    https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

Or just use 1g per pound of ideal weight.
    So if your goal weight is 130 for example, your protein would be 130g.
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    GB333 wrote: »
    I'm guessing someone has said this, but I didn't see it upon skimming. Your avocado isn't as high in carbs as you think. To paraphrase Dr. Fung - carbs are the poison, but the fiber is the antidote. You deduct the fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs. An avocado that has 12g of carbs, also has 9g of fiber. So your net carbs is only 3g. :)
    Thank you for clarifying that!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Fwiw, I think your calories are set way to low for the amount of exercise you're doing. I'm 5' 6.5" so I'm very close to your height. Although I stay active, I'm nowhere near as physically active as you are. During my weight-loss phase I was eating between 1380 -1425 calories per day and losing weight. Now in my maintenance phase, I usually eat between 1550-1650 calories per day and if I eat at the lower end (1550), I still tend to lose weight but at a much slower rate. 1200 calories a day for me was something I only did occasionally during fat fasts.