Asking for Clarification

So, I'm just trying to figure this out...

My TDEE is 2110 and my BMR is 1535.

I use a Fitbit.

I'm starting with the reset, so eating my TDEE.

As long as my exercise calories are not more than the difference between TDEE and BMR (500ish), I DON'T eat them back, right?

For example, if my exercise calories are 400 for the day, I wouldn't eat 2400 calories; I would stay at the 2000ish level?

I'm happy eating more; I just don't want to eat too much. :)

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Actually it depends on which method you are using, but generally you want to keep the deficit at reasonable level.

And adding up to 500ish more calories to deficit would make it very unreasonable, if done daily.

So if using average weekly TDEE method - eating the same amount daily - take reasonable deficit and since exercise better have been in that estimate of TDEE - you don't worry about it.
    Some days may literally be close to BMR, some could be over maintenance - the average is good though.
    But - if many days are close to BMR with NET, you probably picked the wrong TDEE level, or your workout routine is few but huge workout day. More on this below using Fitbit.

If you are using the MFP method because of iffy workouts - then figure the deficit without them based on base calories, and just add the exercise calories less the same 15% when you actually workout.

Now - synced with Fitbit - those Fitbit adjustments are NOT exercise.
    They could be partial, could be none.
    That's MFP correcting itself.

If you want to stay synced because of variable days - take 20% off MFP base calories - and whatever the adjustment causes - eat it.

If you want to use the same goal daily method - must unsync - enter any required workouts for accuracy in Fitbit.
    Watch the weekly reports from Fitbit - there's your TDEE to use for the math on MFP and eating goal level.
    I'd suggest 3 wk running avg on those reports, and only worry about adjust MFP if it changes major - like with the seasons.
    That way you can also ignore weeks you know are not typical average - like sick, or vacation and really active, ect.
  • zandrathesweetheart
    zandrathesweetheart Posts: 109 Member
    So, I'm just trying to figure this out...

My TDEE is 2110 and my BMR is 1535.

I use a Fitbit.

I'm starting with the reset, so eating my TDEE.

As long as my exercise calories are not more than the difference between TDEE and BMR (500ish), I DON'T eat them back, right?

For example, if my exercise calories are 400 for the day, I wouldn't eat 2400 calories; I would stay at the 2000ish level?

I'm happy eating more; I just don't want to eat too much. :)

Thanks for the help!

You should be eating all of the calories you burn if your goal is to maintain.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    How do you get your accurate bmr?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    ckdprevent wrote: »
    How do you get your accurate bmr?

An overnight research study where they wake you in early morning, hook you up to equipment, and let you drift back to sleep.

As you might imagine - this is expensive and merely measures a point in time that can easily change from many factors.

So there is an RMR measurement (Resting Metabolic Rate) where you go in first thing in morning and get hooked up, and spend about 15 min relaxing back in chair to get a reading.

This is much easier - but still fraught with the issue of you can cause a change to your RMR by undereating too much - so if you get a suppressed reading, do you drive it further into the ground by having that figure cause you to undereat too much yet again?

Or you can get a good bodyfat % measurement, and then use a better BMR formula.
    And unless just really bad medical issues, that estimated BMR is going to be within 3% of potential (not suppressed), may 5% at the most.

The point with this explanation - Best accuracy you care to get, BMR, weighing foods, estimating exercise calories, ect - is merely to give a starting point.
    Because really, the TDEE charts are 5 rough levels, that's a difference of way more than 5% between levels - there's the inaccuracy to be concerned with.
    But after you have a starting point - you test it for 30 days and see the results, and tweak from there.
    Because also - seasons change, activity level changes - it'll constantly be changing anyway.

So having an accurate BMR number is really not super helpful in the scheme of the much more inaccurate calorie numbers involved elsewhere.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    How did you figure out your TDEE, did you include your weekly exercise? If not then you will need to eat those calories in addition to your TDEE.