Going off BC

Options
girlalmighty08
girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
I'm currently on Alesse 28, was on and off it for a years between relationships but have been on it ever since being with my current partner. As some of you may have read in other threads already, I've started my last pack and will be stopping BC when it's finished so we can prepare to start TTC.

Anyone else on this brand (or others) notice any major bodily changes? Just curious to know what to expect.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help! Birth control always just screwed up my cycle so me going off any of them usually got better after 2 months. I generally would notice I felt happier and less hungry though. I can't remember if I tried Alesse. I tried like 6 different ones all with the same issues.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Similar to Katie's experience, I was noticeably less hungry and a lot happier once I stopped BC. I'm pretty sure I fall into the just stay away from all synthetic hormones because I felt like a zombie on them with the addition of having no sex drive (which basically defeated my purpose of being on BC to begin with) and was dryer than a desert.

This post below goes into a bit more detail what I experienced in just over a month of not being on the pill. (It may look familiar as it was in response to a post of yours some time ago but I'm sharing it in case others are curious as well.)

I've been off birth control for over a month now and this is what I've noticed so far:
    • Lots more energy - I actually want to do things/get things done now when before it was very, very easy for me to be a bump on a log day after day because I just had no energy at all
    • I didn't notice any significant drop in weight so I don't believe it was causing me to retain much if any water (I weigh daily) BUT I have noticed a significant decrease in appetite - I still have had a few bouts of increase appetite since though but I think that has more to do with things trying to regulate (and having a second period last month) than anything
    • I'm much happier mentally (I've noticed I'm more often than not in a good mood now and I've even found myself singing and dancing again) and a lot less sensitive (read: more emotionally stable) I'm no longer crying at every little thing
    • My vagina is no longer a desert
    • My libido is coming back
    • I feel more and more like the old me (and by old me, I mean the me that wasn't on birth control haha) the more time that goes on and honestly do not ever see myself using hormonal birth control again

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but I would say those are the main highlights.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit Thanks for the info! And sorry for the re-post... honestly one of the things I'm hoping and praying goes away when I go off BC is my anxiety. I feel like ever since being on the pill I overthink and overanalyze and overask everything and it's exhausting.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    @girlalmighty08 You're welcome! No need to be sorry! I'm glad that you made a separate thread, it'll be good to have this all in one place so everyone can share and/or read about others experiences and it won't be a big search. It took me at least 20 minutes to find my old post. =P

I obviously can't say for sure what you'll experience but I've definitely noticed a difference in that regard (anxiety/overthinking, etc) since going off the pill as well. Now it only seems to be a problem right before my period - usually about 3 days before but sometimes it can be up to a week before according to my husband. It's pretty much how I know I'm getting ready to start plus I'm also more moody.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of BC that is, but I think you're gonna like being off BC. The biggest positive I experienced going off BC was that I had a higher overall sense of wellbeing and peace, less anxiety, less depression, reacted better to stress at work and better sleep at night. I also started to slowly lose the weight. The downside was that the first couple of periods were extra awful and closer together than I expected. Also, my ovulation dates were wonky for 3 or 4 months. Your body has to relearn how to balance its hormones. It does not happen instantly.