How many calories do I need?

Options
irishsox12
irishsox12 Posts: 18 Member
Hey everyone! I'm curious as to how many calories everyone is consuming each day for their weight loss. I have been struggling with finding the right number and have been trying to educate myself, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm on the right track.
I'm 5'6, currently weigh 153.0 lbs and exercise 3-5 times a week. I used a TDEE calculator and found 1700 per day is ideal for me. Does this sound correct? Thanks!

Replies

• cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    irishsox12 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm curious as to how many calories everyone is consuming each day for their weight loss. I have been struggling with finding the right number and have been trying to educate myself, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm on the right track.
    I'm 5'6, currently weigh 153.0 lbs and exercise 3-5 times a week. I used a TDEE calculator and found 1700 per day is ideal for me. Does this sound correct? Thanks!

MFP has me at 1200 which is doable with careful planning. My biggest challenge is keeping carbs down and protein up
  • poeciliareticulata
    poeciliareticulata Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I’m also 5’6, and currently 143. I have mfp calculate my calories and if I set it to ‘lose 1lb a week’, it bottoms out at 1200, which I think gives me a deficit of around 400 cals, or 0.8lb a week. I’m set to sedentary and use Fitbit (synced to mfp) to determine my activity level, and most days get a decent extra chunk of calories from that, which I eat back. I usually consume between 1600 and 1800 a day and was (before Easter) losing at almost exactly the rate I would expect given my actual deficit (as measured by the end-of-day calories in/out numbers on my Fitbit app). So your 1700 sounds about right to me!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I was at 1600 to be in a deficit. I’m going to bump up to 1800 for maintenance.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" 194 ish. I'm on 1660 a day set as sedentary. I work a sit down job and cannot work out at the moment due to medical issues (temporary). I let my Fitbit add my calories earned from steps and tey not to use them, so netting a little lower on most days. Doing intermittent fasting to keep within my calories and it's working great for me. I'm losing about 1-1.5 per week.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I’m 60 so my daily calorie at 150 lbs to lose 1 pound per week is 1021 on a calorie counter app.

When I follow the WFPB way of eating I can easily eat only that may calories and am really full.
This discussion has been closed.