Bulletproof coffee - recipes?

MindfulNat
MindfulNat Posts: 83 Member
Hey everyone
I just made basic bulletproof coffee and am having a hard time drinking it. Any good recipes out there ?
Thank you

Replies

• butterfountain
    butterfountain Posts: 14 Member
    I just had it at a local café yesterday... It was tasty but got cold fast so I only drank half... thank goodness, it just about killed me, but I'm down a pound today! I had never heard of it before yesterday either, and here it is again. I wouldn't do it again. Maybe add a little cinnamon/cocoa?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2018
    I tend to add much less fat than the original BPC recipe called for. I used a TBS coconut cream or 1/2-1 tsp coconut oil or a TBS whipping cream. Then I add a couple of drops of stevia and some protein powder (maybe an 1/8th of a serving). Whisk it all together.

BPC is good if, like me, you enjoy drinking calories instead of eating them. I'd rather have a coffee than bother making breakfast on most days. If you add BPC on top of a breakfast, that could be a LOT of calories.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I like the taste of BPC the way I make it with just coconut oil, coffee and sweetener whipped in a magic bullet so I'm not sipping an oil slick.

That said, it is something I drink on rare occasion. I drank it more frequently when I was following a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet where 75%+ fat was important/critical.

So far as I know BPC is not a requirement for a ketogenic diet or ketosis. I consider it a preference or choice. If you don't like it there should be no reason to choke it down.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    I just ordered a MCT powder that I plan to mix in with my coffee or smoothies. From what I understand it helps with achieving ketosis and workout performance, but doesn't have the oil slick nature of bulletproof coffee.

I'm new at low carb/keto and debated whether the MCT powder would even help, but decided to give it a go since I'm determined to find something that works for me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've made it a few times with just coffee, coconut oil and sweetener (whipped in a magic bullet) but it's by no means a regular in my diet. I drank it mostly when I ate medically therapeutic ketogenic and 75%+ fat was a requirement.

Besides, why drink it if you don't like it? There are plenty of ways to get fat into a diet without BPC. For those who like it, drink up!

• ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    I make a giant BPC every morning during the work week.
    I use coconut oil, kerrygold butter (I actually recommend using only this butter for this) heavy cream, sweetener of choice.
    I blend it well in my generic bullet.
    Then I pour it into a good insulated travel mug. One that keeps things hot for long periods of time. My cup is an Rtic.
    I’ll make this generally about 6 am and it’s still drinking temperature at noon. If it lasts that long!
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    When you start drinking it you need to work up to tablespoon servings of the fats used. It also has to be blended if you don't it's pretty harsh on your stomach and your palate. That said I like using butter coconut oil and vanilla sf syrup. Sometimes I add a tsp of cacao, cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice to it and doubles as a dessert!