April 9 Weekly Challenge: Spring Declutterfest!

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,981 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly , so true.

I'm starting to use the little hint I picked up from our tiny habits challenge here. When I put my sweater away as soon as I get home, I reward myself with a fist pump or an "Awesome!" :) I need to sort lots of stuff, but the big jobs don't get done. Still little bits at a time make a difference.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly , so true.

I'm starting to use the little hint I picked up from our tiny habits challenge here. When I put my sweater away as soon as I get home, I reward myself with a fist pump or an "Awesome!" :) I need to sort lots of stuff, but the big jobs don't get done. Still little bits at a time make a difference.

Such a great idea, @77tes. Celebrate the little habit successes. Little habits can have a big impact! Living a healthy lifestyle to me is nothing but a bunch of little habits practiced every day.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Hi! What works for me for decluttering (if I only do it!) is to set a timer for 10 or 15 minutes and do the decluttering in chunks based on what is bothering me the most. So yesterday I decluttered our attached garage for 10 minutes, and it looks so much better. I also decluttered in our bedroom for 10 minutes, and it was contagious! My husband, who never buys anything but also never gets rid of anything, spent some time last night getting rid of stuff in our bedroom! Yay! Now I'm going to do more decluttering in there so that it becomes a peaceful room.

A great point, @littlebear0121! On the surface, 10 or 15 minutes may not seem like enough time to accomplish anything. But it is and that’s because most of us can find 15 minutes a day. And if we find that same chunk of time everyday, and do that thing that we want to accomplish, it starts to snowball. 15 minutes a day spent decluttering (or doing anything important to us) becomes 91 hours a year.

Little actions done repeatedly grow into big impacts. Plus, little actions are sustainable.

Thanks for posting!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this one, but this is my favorite challenge! I plan to start with my closet, as it's a total catch-all right now. Then I plan to set out a Donate Box and let my DH and GD know to throw anything in it that they don't need, use or want anymore if it is still in decent shape. I never thought about decluttering books before! Great idea. I think I will try to sort through those also. I have some very old books that I could possibly put on eBay. I need to dig through my spring stuff in the basement and find my purses, shoes and clothes to swap out with my winter sweaters. :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I’m making good progress on the upstairs bedroom and already thinking about decluttering past this week. My basement also needs attention. I can pitch things that I’ve acquired over the years and let them go if I no longer have a need or want for them, but it’s much harder for me to let go of the things that my parents and inlaws have given my husband and me. Such as china. My mother has given me two sets of her china and they’ve stayed in the basement for 20 years. For women in my mother’s generation, I think their china set was among their most prized possessions? It defined entertaining. If you were having a dinner party, you brought out the good china.

I certainly remember Thanksgiving and Christmas meals with these dishes, but I don’t have a strong attachment. And something that has stayed in boxes for 20 years isn’t likely going to have a starring role in my life anytime soon.

My husband and I are both in our 50s and are fortunate to have our parents still living. And both sets of parents are actively decluttering and giving their children their possessions. I don’t want to seem ungrateful, but it does stress me out. And I’m trying to embrace the principle that just because someone gives me one of their cherished possessions, doesn’t mean I have to keep it in my life.

Is anyone else struggling with this issue?

I have the same struggle. I remember the china coming out for entertaining. It was a big event if the china and silver came out. I remember those days as being so exciting because of company coming, etc. But you're right. When will I ever use it? I have a ton of things like that. I have things the kids and grandkids have given me also. I hate to not keep it because it means something to them to come see it displayed proudly somewhere (even if it is the basement). I think what I will do when I start tackling that kind of stuff (packed away in boxes now because I have no place to put any of it), is I will take a picture of the item and put together a photo album of all the treasures I received from my kids/grandkids. Then I can still look at it, but it will literally only take up the space of a photo album.

Great insights everyone! Thanks!
  • themedalist
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @OConnell5483, I like your suggestion to take a photo of the item. Possessions evoke memories and that’s why they are hard to part with. But a photograph can also do the same thing. And take up much less space. And you’re right, decluttering our offices will make it much nicer to be in there.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @texasgardnr, great idea to give your children things it now rather than later. Things that they love and would enjoy having in their lives. When my daughter gets back this Sunday, I’m going to talk to her about this. She’s not quite ready to set up her own house, but I think that will happen in the next few years.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Today’s decluttering project: the linen closet. Oh, it was so bad before! Hard to find anything, with more things that had been given to us that were not being used. Three more trash bags of things to throw or recycle.

And bonus: It was a solid hour of moving around and going up and down stairs. A good aerobic workout!

I have a question for you. Declutterfest really is one of our most popular challenges. I find it very cathartic and calming. Losing extra fat made my body lighter. Losing extra stuff makes my life lighter. So.....is twice a year for Declutterfest the right frequency? Or 3 times a year? Or even quarterly? What would you prefer? Thanks!

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @themedalist I would like to do it quarterly, but that's just because it's my favorite challenge, and I don't always remember to do it. :smile: But if nobody else wants it that often, I can put my big girl pants on and try to remind myself! LOL

I decluttered a file drawer today at work next to my desk. I've been in the job 4months now and it really had a lot of stuff I will never use, left from the previous employee. I left there tonight feeling so much better and so much more organized! Whoop Whoop! :lol:
  • themedalist
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    I saw an article on a site I frequent that had this statement above the article. "Your kids don't want your stuff." Bald, but true.

"And I'm trying to embrace the principle that just because someone gives me one of their cherished possessions, doesn't mean I have to keep it in my life." Absolutely.

After my Mom died, my Step-Dad insisted on giving me my Mom's sterling silver flatware. We never used it. In fact, I don't remember it ever being used when I was a kid. So all this time, it's been in it's nice wooden box. And it's not going to see the light of day now in 2018 either. Ha-ha. I do still have it, but every time I look at the box, I think I could be using that space for something I like. I think that will be my mission today to let it go. It does bring back memories of my Mom and life back in the 50's and 60's. But it's still just a thing-the memories are in my head and aren't going anywhere, I hope.

Saw an idea that I'm using when I found something that is difficult to let go. Take a picture of it. (I haven't read all the post here yet, so forgive me if this idea has been mentioned already) It's easier to let go then.

@AnnofB, I imagine it’s even harder to part with things that were important to the people who we’ve lost in our lives. But you’re right. If it’s not of sentimental value and it’s not being used, it’s a good candidate for moving on.

Taking a picture is a great idea!