April 9 Weekly Challenge: Spring Declutterfest!

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    I did it! The quilt that's been hanging around is no longer. I finished it today and it's now ON my bed instead of IN my studio. It's the first quilt I finished for our own bed. :Dhtm5k1dz94zy.jpg

It’s beautiful, @bcTRA! Congrats on finishing something that’s taken you many hours, and I’m sure sweat and tears, to complete. ON your bed is much more satisfying than IN your studio.

CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @bcTRA, Your quilt is so gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing a picture!

:flowerforyou:
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys. Today has been a little purge. Got rid of those three boxes plus some other things.f3c6r62p5y7e.jpgbefore and then, after.gm497abifmlz.jpg
    Still more to do in that room but it's a start and now I'm babysitting my granddaughter. :)
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    That is one beautiful quilt!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,102 Member
    Options
    @themedalist
    “I have a question for you. Declutterfest really is one of our most popular challenges. I find it very cathartic and calming. Losing extra fat made my body lighter. Losing extra stuff makes my life lighter. So.....is twice a year for Declutterfest the right frequency? Or 3 times a year? Or even quarterly? What would you prefer? Thanks!”

Hi! I’d do the declutterfest at least every other month. Doing this can help us to 1) reduce our stress, 2) organize & prioritize things that need our attention, 3) provides opportunities for purposeful movement, 4) helps our homes be more nourishing and peaceful, 5) helps others through our donations & gifting of things we no longer need/love, 6) makes it easier to cook, shop for food, get dressed in the morning, have guests and extended family over, find financial items, locate almost anything, 7) deal gradually with our past, and the biggest reason for me: the cleared spaces enable us to identify & foster new interests!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Thanks for the compliments guys. Today has been a little purge. Got rid of those three boxes plus some other things.f3c6r62p5y7e.jpgbefore and then, after.gm497abifmlz.jpg
    Still more to do in that room but it's a start and now I'm babysitting my granddaughter. :)

Wow!! You did a great job!! Congratulations!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @bcTRAI Nice job! I struggle with decluttering books because I don't want to part with any of them! You did a great job with that area

@MadisonMolly2017 Holy cow! What a list! You took this challenge to a whole new level! I'm going to have to read this Marie Kondo book you speak of. :wink:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @OConnell5483 yes, it truly is life-altering!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @bcTRAI, what an amazing transformation in that room! The before and after difference is stunning. You’ve had quite the successful week with finishing your beautiful quilt and decluttering that room. Congrats....lots of hard work, but I bet you feel great!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017....WOW, that is quite the list of accomplishments. I also like how you’ve listed “DONE” after each item. That’s a mini celebration for accomplishing that activity, and celebrations and rewards are important.

Regarding Marie’s book, you, @77tes, and @nebslp have been so enthusiastic that I’m purchasing the Kindle version this morning. My goal is to have read it and be implementing her strategies before our Summer Declutterfest. BTW, you gave some wonderfully compelling reasons for decluttering more often. I’d like to get a little more feedback before deciding on a schedule, but we will be having this challenge more often!
  • themedalist
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I purposefully chose to rerun 3 of our previous challenges in April to give me some extra time to work on enhancing what will be our focus in May: Sit Less Boot Camp! If you are unfamiliar with Boot Camp, it’s a 21 day Challenge to help us make sitting less and moving more part of our daily routine: a habit! If you’ve participated in previous Boot Camps, I’ve added some new challenges and have strengthened the links to make sitting less truly a habit change. I am very excited about Version 2.0 of Sit Less Boot Camp!

Next week, on April 23, I will be publishing a blog post promoting Boot Camp here on MFP. I would really appreciate a quick 15 second help from you to get the word out. I can’t get the word out by myself...I need your help please.

But for now, check out our brand new video promo!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHNAynWku9I
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Great video! I will be happy to help get the word out! I'm looking forward to the May Sitting Less challenge. :smile:
  • themedalist
    Options
    It isn’t perfect and there’s still a lot to do, but I made a lot of headway on the upstairs bedroom this week and that makes me very happy!

f2r88fq96nzn.jpeg
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @themedalist That looks really nice! Isn't it a good feeling?

I thought of another declutter I need to do one of these challenges...I need to clean up my laptop! Always say I'm going to but never do.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @themedalist Looks great!! And yes the DONE is my motivator/reward!!

@OConnell5483 Yes, laptops are tough. One idea I’ve seen is an “Amnesty” concept. You put everything in a folder. And then go zero inbox, ie, all emails deleted or filed each day. (You can always go back in to the Amnesty folder if there is something important.)

@littlebear0121 I hear you! I like doing this in categories, but I also do Flylady.net’s 27 Fling Boogie, 15 minute clutterbust, and/or start at one point in the room and move clockwise...this insures that you don’t skip the same spot each time! Good to have a reward.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are all doing amazing work! @bcTRA, your quilt is beautiful!! I think my decluttering week starts today. I’m still a little overwhelmed from getting back from my trip last weekend, attending 2 days of bluebird convention, and then my granddaughter’s birthday party yesterday. I’m still searching for the items I took out of my wallet and purse before going to Paris. They have just disappeared and I’m beginning to think I’m going a bit daffy in the head. Seriously!!! I’ve looked everywhere I can think of. I’m sure I’ll run across it if I keep decluttering. I just hope it didn’t go to Goodwill
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Beautiful quilt! Thanks for posting.