Invisible Illnesses

Options
HappyKat5
HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
Sometimes, it’s hard for people to understand those that are dealing with health issues because often times, we look healthy on the outside, but often are really feeling miserable on the inside. Some people only think a person can have an illness/disease IF they SEE it on the outside. We shouldn’t have to prove ourselves to others.

Replies

• Aingealicia
    Aingealicia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So very true. I got so tired of people saying, "But you look so good, you can't be sick."
    I won't repeat what goes through my head everytime I hear that. I get tired of explaining why a day trip to the Dr. exhaust me. You can't see what is wrong with me. Give me some gluten and watch me get a rash and then end up in the hospital because I can't eat anything and I am completely dehydrated from either tossing my cookies or sitting on the porcelain throne because I can't stop go to the bathroom. I am sure you know what I mean.

On my bad days with Fibro, I am so lucky to even get out of bed. I am missing a certain Antibody in my body that protects me from getting sick, so when the flu season comes around, people are ticking time bombs for me. I will be sure to be headed to the ER to be admitted because I either got Pneumonia, severe flu, or whatever else my body can throw at me.

You can't see Antibodies, you can't see Fibro, you can't see gastro issues unless you are sharing the bathroom and the bathroom is your new bedroom. With my GBS, you can't see my rib bear hugs that make me double over. You can just see me fall and try to breath.

I think for most of us who know what you can't see can hurt you are far more aware of the surroundings and how we may or may not affect people who also can't see.