Unexpected time of the month !

jotti101
jotti101 Posts: 41 Member
Hi fellow Keto Buddies,

A question I would like to ask the female members is :
Has anyone experienced unexpected time of the month bleeding or heavy bleeding while doing keto?

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Yup! Second month on Keto and I have been having 3 week cycles. (Normally am 4 weeks). My first cycle was very heavy and lasted forever and I had cramps and headaches and moodiness...but was also still in "keto flu" in terms of adaption.

This one feels pretty normal, just arrived five days sooner than expected!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Yup, when I was about 3 months into keto I got an unexpected - and incredibly long cycle.... like over a month long!! (Six weeks I think?)
    Since then things have balanced out and I'm like clockwork.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think it is fairly common early on. I didn't experience it though. If anything, my cycles got more regular and slightly shorter... Awesome for someone entering perimenopause. LOL ;)
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    I have been spotting almost since I started Keto. I think I started spotting around week 2, and here I'm on week 7 and still experiencing this. I'm also on BC, the depo shot. I just got it renewed today, so I'm hoping it will cancel out the spotting. :disappointed:
  • jotti101
    Thanks so much for sharing, I feel better now knowing that this could be absolutely normal on Keto. I am going to see my GP tomorrow anyway just so I can make sure all is in order. Xx
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    jotti101 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for sharing, I feel better now knowing that this could be absolutely normal on Keto. I am going to see my GP tomorrow anyway just so I can make sure all is in order. Xx

That's good! I just figure it's my body's way of expelling all the bad the bad toxins in the body, including my uterus >_<
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    I went the other way and skipped a month. I don't know if it was because of me doing IF for a 20:4 ratio. I kinda liked missing a month...bring on the menopause ;):pB)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    LOL at the "bring on the menopause" comment. I'm 64. Yes, life is grand. :) A true benefit of age.

@jotti101 over the last few years I've been reading the forum, I'd say what you're experiencing is not uncommon. It doesn't occur with all women but has been mentioned several times with others having a similar experience or a noticeable change in their cycle.

Glad you're going to the doc though and getting it checked out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Burning stored fat releases store estrogen. This can create cycle havoc. After the initial disruption, I found that it was like my cycles had been dialed back about ten years in female health...

Some get heavier, some get lighter, some stay the same. Some have longer cycles, some have shorter, some get renewed fertility, some have infertility. Some find that their body is trying to fix something. Some with suppressed cycles find a surprising episode of spotting, etc.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    I'm on BC (nuvaring) but still got spotting early on. :/
  • jotti101
    Thank you all for your posts, I have been feeling better the last few days. Also been to see the Dr who has sent me to see a consultant tomorrow. All should be fine. I felt better just sharing and getting your replies.
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Does anyone get really hungry right before their period starts? I have been strict keto for almost one month now, and doing two meals a day for about a week, basically eating when I am hungry; not eating when I'm not. I felt great and not hungry until 11:30/noon everyday. Today I felt famished by 8:00am! I ate a delicious high fat breakfast, and was STILL hungry, so I ate a bit of what I had planned for lunch.

I am listening to what my body wants, and not really worried about it, but just wondering what others have experienced.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I always get super hungry at that time...I try to just ignore it and up my salt intake.
  • KnitOrMiss
    The basic biological reason for the hunger is that your body is trying to make not blood to balance out that and the lining being shed... So if you focus on "blood building foods," that is iron, B12, and C rich foods, that might help. I've not tried this theory yet myself, so YMMV.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I already take C everyday to help keep my iron high enough to donate blood, but I totally added in my B complex (which I only take sometimes) - who knows, maybe it will help, definitely can't hurt.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I already take C everyday to help keep my iron high enough to donate blood, but I totally added in my B complex (which I only take sometimes) - who knows, maybe it will help, definitely can't hurt.

P.S. We ALL know that hormonal hunger is definitely NOT logical, despite the fact that there is a logical biological imperative behind the instigation of the hunger...so yeah... There is that! All the things that make sense in the world will not always make PMS anything right!

Random factoid: I was always hungrier in general at ovulation time, though PMS for me was extreme, requiring mental health medication at several point in time, so once the insanity died down some, I had all the insane cravings. It's all somewhat muted now, but still there...
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    d_dc_lady wrote: »
    Does anyone get really hungry right before their period starts? I have been strict keto for almost one month now, and doing two meals a day for about a week, basically eating when I am hungry; not eating when I'm not. I felt great and not hungry until 11:30/noon everyday. Today I felt famished by 8:00am! I ate a delicious high fat breakfast, and was STILL hungry, so I ate a bit of what I had planned for lunch.

I am listening to what my body wants, and not really worried about it, but just wondering what others have experienced.

Yep, I get super hungry in the days before my cycle starts. I stick to my calories but try to eat the most filling foods possible.