Steroids

Options
rheddmobile
rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
Well now I'm ticked off - went to the ortho for a ruptured Baker's cyst and he drained it and gave me a steroid shot in the knee, which he insisted was necessary and would raise my blood glucose for a max of two days. Now I am reading most people say three weeks! And when they say it raises they mean A LOT, like 400s and 500s! I had some left over glimeperide which usually causes lows after eating and my sugar won't drop below 123 fasting. And for some people the spikes don't start for many days, so I can never relax and assume I'm out of the woods. I literally can't eat, I am having tuna fish, just tuna, for dinner, after pork for lunch. I hate my doctor and would never have agreed to this if I had looked it up first!

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'd keep an "eye" on those blood sugars & if they do get too high (especially if over 200 mg/dl) and the glimeperide isn't helping enough, I'd "demand" some fast-acting insulin for use at meal time (I use Novolog). When my mom had to be on steroids for a while, her blood sugars shot up too & she had to increase her meal-time insulin dosage to compensate.