Let’s Move Challenge

Options
dalynnrmc
dalynnrmc Posts: 29 Member
Anyone up for a sedentary fibro appropriate fitness challenge?

For instance, my year average on steps is 300-500. I need and want to get them at least to 1000, maybe 2000. I can’t DO 10k yet. 8k almost killed me this week.

Another idea is to log minimum minutes daily, like... 20 minutes of something that qualifies as movement. I’m sitting too long in this chair, pity partying because of aches or just being scared of over doing it. I need to MOVE.

Other ideas? What do YOU need to work on this week? We can finish the month by personal weekly challenges and then maybe do a group challenge for May? I need motivation in this area and social stuff motivates me. :)

Replies

• melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I would love to, I’m finally receovering from a bad flare which started just before Christmas and am now at the point where I think I could try to exercise again. I used to exercise every day and I really miss it.

How about a general aim for at least 15 minutes of purposeful activity a day? It could be any kind of exercise just something that gets us moving continuously for 15 mins or more?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    This is a really good idea... I do walk 4-6 km per night on patrol and get in and out of my vehicle over 40x but would like to have the energy to do more fun movement again on my off work hours. I haven't since I got back from vacation (we hiked and walked everywhere for 3 weeks) in early Dec. On bad days I just have to remember my guided imagery stretch and ROM CD from the Chronic Pain workshop I took. I'd count that for sure. I'd like to get back into the pool for some moderate aquafit too.
    I'm also helping my elderly parents with an upcoming move from their home to a senior residence so there is a ton of packing and driving them around (no drivers' licence anymore). That, in itself, is exhausting.
  • dalynnrmc
    Options
    I plan to get the family membership for our local pool this summer and maybe join a water aerobics class or whatever they offer. I’ve found that being in the water helps the pain... for as long as I stay in the water. Lol

Sounds good! I’ll post it late tomorrow night for the week then, 15-20 Min a day of movement above your norm.. sound good?
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Count me in!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    How did everyone do today? It's not quite exercise for fun, but I did do a bunch of quick walking around to the stores and carried groceries and a big garbage bag full of shoes I'm donating to a worthy cause.. sheshoeswaps.com About an hour today.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    Well done, exercise and charity! Not a good start for me, I ended up having to move a couple of bits of furniture to make my home working area more practical so I ended up not doing any exercise! I’ve promised myself I will do something tomorrow.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    I managed 15 minutes on the exercise bike today, would have liked to do 20 but not up to it yet. Still at least it’s something.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    WTG, melmerrit33! Sunday was a washout.... only two hours of sleep Sat. morning and again on Sun morning (my weekends are too busy) with overnight shift Sat night meant I was so jet-laggy exhausted that I couldn't even eat properly or do anything but watch a bit of netflix yesterday evening. Slept 10 hours on my first night off, so today will be a much better story, I'm sure. Gotta take my folks in to the doctor this afternoon, though.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    Wow, very busy, definitely rest only after that! Hope today is better for you.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Managed to get a 20 minute brisk walk in while parents were in with the doc. Yay, me! It was sunny and warm today. Parents got really good news, all the lab results have improved and Dad's metformin will be cut slightly again because his blood glucose is down to 6 these days. They were also feeling perky and Mom was in a good enough mood for them to come over after supper tonight and sit around a campfire with us (first of the season). We enjoyed all the songs of the doves, blackbirds, sparrows, and flickers and then the frogs started up at the pond. Had a little glass of sparkling peach/grape juice and a few truffles (oops!) that were a gift from one of my husband's customers today.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hey peeps, here's MFP's Sit Less Boot Camp - 21 days in May starting on the 1st. For everyone in shape or not. Might be interesting.... myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/sit-less-boot-camp-returns-may-1st-on-mfp-951704
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    You had a really good day, glad your parents had good news.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    Managed some house cleaning and another 15 mins on the exercise bike today, think it was too much for me though, need to keep to just 15 mins for now I think.
  • canadjineh
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You can come and clean my house for 15 minutes, mel. You could multitask....
    m12w0um2elq0.png

• canadjineh
    Options
    You can come clean my house for 15 minutes, mel. You could multitask....
    tsyc9tsolzlg.png
    I did manage to get in a 15 minute walk while Dad was in with his doc to be fitted for a 24 hr heartrate monitor. We have to come back and return it tomorrow... Seems I never get one full day off.
  • dalynnrmc
    Options
    So yesterday I fought my girl to go to dance class, cooked food twice (go me!!), and sat on an exercise bike for 30 min while I played on my phone. Woke up a bit stiff and sore today but not bad.

Today I cooked once... might still cook again, not sure... and spent a couple of hours rearranging books on the floor-to-ceiling bookcase to make room for two more boxes of books I inherited from Grandma. I’m also almost up to 1000 steps which I really want to be my minimum. Feeling decent I guess, energy level is good.

Probably going to try to reach 1000 steps tomorrow and spend just a few minutes learning the first Pilates exercise, but not much else. Friday is our homeschool group classes and it always takes a ton out of me.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    You can come and clean my house for 15 minutes, mel. You could multitask....
    m12w0um2elq0.png

Lol, I feel like that’s what I did today, moved some furniture around and I’m exhausted so I’m counting that as my full exercise allotment for today!
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    dalynnrmc wrote: »
    So yesterday I fought my girl to go to dance class, cooked food twice (go me!!), and sat on an exercise bike for 30 min while I played on my phone. Woke up a bit stiff and sore today but not bad.

Today I cooked once... might still cook again, not sure... and spent a couple of hours rearranging books on the floor-to-ceiling bookcase to make room for two more boxes of books I inherited from Grandma. I’m also almost up to 1000 steps which I really want to be my minimum. Feeling decent I guess, energy level is good.

Probably going to try to reach 1000 steps tomorrow and spend just a few minutes learning the first Pilates exercise, but not much else. Friday is our homeschool group classes and it always takes a ton out of me.

Wow, that’s impressive, well done! Let us know how the Pilates goes, I used to do that years ago and have wondered if it would be worth trying again.
  • dalynnrmc
    Options
    I didn’t try it after all... I’m just using some books I found at the library to get started, so we’ll see how it goes.