April 16 Weekly Challenge: Random Acts of Kindness

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Greater Happiness
Challenge: Random Acts of Kindness

I've been reading Stephen Post and Jill Neimark's wonderful book, Why Good Things Happen to Good People: How to Live a Longer, Healthier, Happier Life by the Simple Act of Giving. Their book synthesizes numerous research studies that suggest that giving of ourselves and our time and resources can have profound impacts on our health and wellbeing. Giving doesn’t just benefit those we give to, our health and happiness are enhanced when we regularly give to others.

Giving, of course, can take many forms: volunteering our time for oranizations and issues we care about, spending a few minutes to really listen to another person, caring for someone who needs our help, or making a financial donation to a non-profit we believe in, are just a few of the many ways we can give and practice generousity.

But my favorite acts of giving are simply Random Acts of Kindness. And that's our challenge this week!
Random Acts of Kindness don’t have to be complicated, nor cost any money. Simple gestures are always appreciated.

This Week’s Challenge:

Look for opportunities this week to do your own Random Acts of Kindness. The images below have lots of ideas. Please share your random acts with us, if you are so inclined.

If you’ve received a Random Act of Kindness in the past that just made your day, please share that too. And if you had an opportunity to do a random act for someone else that was memorable to you, please share that as well. We can’t have too many great stories!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

24 Stories About the Touching Kindness of Strangers That’ll Make You Tear Up:
https://www.rd.com/true-stories/inspiring/kindness-strangers/

As You Scroll Through These 47 Photos, Something Will Become Very Clear. And Everyone Should See It.
http://boredomtherapy.com/random-acts-of-kindness/

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    q8cdy3u5jfr9.jpeg

• themedalist
    ewpmurotfq4b.jpeg
  • themedalist
    edited April 2018
    And of course, it’s Move It Monday!

5uihkcqcke3b.jpeg

Please post your Monday workout here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge

• themedalist
    edited April 2018
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    This challenge is something I do in my everyday life. I make a point of doing an act of kindness daily. I also encourage my grandson Jonny to do so. When I pick him up fro his bus stop 3 discuss 3 things while we walk to his home. The first being "what was the best part of your day? The second being "what was the worse?" The third being "what act of kindness to did you offer someone?"

I will get back to you on what my act of kindness for today. I usually do not share what I have done except with Jonny. I have taught him that we do not brag and we are careful about sharing our acts. I do not want this to be a competition with others and I surely do not want it be considered bragging or one upping someone else. It is about sharing love and kindness and making the world a better place. Does that make sense?

It makes complete sense, @PinkyPan1. Boasting, bragging, or competing just dilutes the beautiful act of showing kindness to another. By posting you've already shared the idea and lovely habit that you do daily with your grandson Jonny. I wouldn't be surprised if others in this group don't begin a similar practice. And that's really what I was hoping to get from the sharing of our random acts of kindness: some more ideas that might also work for others.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    I get to be with my children all day. What are some acts of kindness I could do for them?
  • themedalist
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    My husband's right leg has been giving him trouble so I poured his coffee and brought it over to the table with his lunch. He appreciated not having to walk the extra steps.

Very thoughtful!
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    I got up early and surprised my husband - the coffee was brewed and ready to enjoy when he got up.
    I have to run to the store before the snow flies again. I'm going to acknowledge every person I can make eye contact with.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    I get to be with my children all day. What are some acts of kindness I could do for them?

In cold weather I would make hot chocolate and have them sit at the table and we'd just talk about whatever they wanted. If they're too little for hot chocolate, a warm glass of milk will do.
    Every once in a while, as a surprise, I'd clean their room for them.
    Sometimes a gentle pat on the back for no reason at all to let them know they're loved makes their day.

I would encourage the children to also include small acts of kindness for each family member including you. Something as simple as picking up something when it is dropped and handing it back to that person. A pat on the back or a kind word of encouragement. Instead of using the term chore a child could assist with setting the table or taking the trash out. You could let the child pick the next activity for the day or maybe the next cartoon or whatever. It is the small acts that encourage others to reach out and do something nice,