Any sourdough bakers?

Options
basilandbalm
basilandbalm Posts: 15 Member
Hello! I've been playing with making sourdough for maybe 6 months or so, and I'm absolutely hooked. When I say playing, though, I mean it - never the same recipe twice. I'm always tweaking something. It's more fun that way for me! As long as it tastes good, I'll deal with creating perfectly replicable creations later. Does anyone else in the group bake bread (sourdough or otherwise)? Favorite recipes? Tips and tricks? I'd love to compare notes!

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to bake bread more than I do now that I am watching my weight. I love Challah the most. Sadly it is also the highest calorie bread I make. Lots of eggs and oil. On the up side I find it doesn't spoil as fast as other breads. I'm at work right now so can't share the recipe but if you are interested PM me and I'll shoot it off to you.
  • JenniferBennett3
    JenniferBennett3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bake all of my own bread, including sourdough. I typically use my bread machine to mix and then bake in the oven. I have been experimenting with mixing white and wheat flour to make my sourdough.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm not a bread maker; and my mom always did; darn, I should have learned that. I've seen someplace that sour dough starter bread is a better choice for diabetic, lower carbs. do you know if it is lower carbs?
  • rlaverda
    rlaverda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! I made a sourdough starter that I use in the Easy Artisan Bread recipe found on http://anoregoncottage.com - it's easy to make & delicious!
  • basilandbalm
    Options
    So excited to see some bakers! I’ve been lazy the past couple weeks and just adding some of the starter to regular bread.... looking forward to moving and unpacking so I can start again. There’s something so soothing about it.

@cheryldumais I love challah and would love the recipe! You’re right though, definitely a special occasion treat.

@JenniferBennett3 how has the whole wheat experimenting been? I made a fully whole-wheat sourdough last month and was actually quite shocked at how much I enjoyed it

@foreverhealthy3, if only there were a really good low carb bread... I have heard people say sourdough is “better” because some of the starch gets fermented. I can’t see how this would change how the body processes the bread, though, which is still almost entirely carbs. I’d say it is certainly still a better treat than dessert, especially if you use whole wheat flour. If you really enjoy it, it’s probably worth making a loaf or two and watching your sugar levels carefully to see how it affects you.

@rlaverda YUM! Thanks for the recipe! I’m always looking for new ones to try!
  • JenniferBennett3
    JenniferBennett3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @basilandbalm My current loaf is half wheat/half white flour and I think I like this ratio best. All whole wheat is a little heavy for me I like the balance. The white flour I use is a high protein bread flour so a serving is really filling and only ends up being about 125 calories.
  • basilandbalm
    Options
    Nice. I’ve done all or nothing with the whole wheat flour because I was trying to use stuff up. Once I move and start building up a pantry again, I’m totally going to try the 50/50 split. Much more likely to be able to share it and have other people enjoy, too
  • bmbilvr
    bmbilvr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’ve been playing with sourdough starter for almost 9 years now... I mostly use it just for bread.. although I’ve made waffles and pancakes .. my starter is sour and so delicious and similar to a San Francisco sourdough.. I use my starter often and mostly give the bread away .... my neighbors and friends love when I bake bread
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How do you make your sourdough starter?
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I make sourdough bread. It is really nice to be able to get a starter from a friend or a sister as I was able to. She always used bread flour as the recipe calls for. I found out just all purpose flour does just as well. Thanks for the tips you have on here. Suppose I will try it with wheat flour also. Am enjoying this site!
  • kdeaker
    kdeaker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made my own starter bug from the dregs of my kombucha jar. I used about a cup of kombucha starter and a cup of flour, I left in a jar with some cloth over the top, every day for about 5 days I “fed” it another cup of flour. After 4-5 days it started to bubble and smell sour. I used it in a sourdough recipe I found online. I used to have a sourdough starter that had apparently been going a hundred years but I accidentally froze it! This one seems to behave and taste similar although I’m no expert.