Misleading nutrition label

Hubby bought half a roasted chicken from the supermarket for his dinner. Ate half of it and when he was getting the remaining half out of the bag to make his lunch
he said 'Oooh dear, this has only got 28% sodium.
- Well that sounds misleading. What size serve?
- 100grams.
- How many serves in the package?
- Just the one.
- Give me a look at that....
They put half chooks in the same bag as a whole chook then put a different barcode label on it. Sure enough though, servings per package:1, average serving size:100grams.
- Dear, it's great that you actually read a label, but there is absolutely no way a whole chicken weighs 100grams, they're generally around 1.1-1.3kg. So a half chook is around the 600gm mark and if you weigh the rest of the chicken, that sodium number is going to change dramatically.
- So I can't eat it then?
- I didn't say can't, can, should, could, don't. What I am saying is reading labels is hard, because some labels are misleading.

In my head though - Really, good on you for checking the label. I can't believe you read the label. Wow, you must be serious if you're reading labels. You. Read. The. Label.

Replies

• michellenoel1
    michellenoel1 Posts: 12 Member
    That's great! Reading the label shows that you're dedicated to it. I'm doing that as well.