2 year surgeversary

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
So today is my 2 year surgeversary. It is amazing how far I have come, but if anyone is pursuing surgery or has had it, one thing that we all need to remember is that it’s a tool, not a guarantee. About a year ago I hit my max loss of 88 lbs but with some illnesses, vacations and stress I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I also haven’t been 100% on any program. I didn’t have surgery to completely restrict the foods I could ever eat again - and told my surgeon as much at our first meeting. I have indulged and over-indulged and the tool that I have lets me know when I overdo it.

I’m working now on trying to eat a little more clean, and trying to eliminate as much packaged foods as I can. I have always meal prepped, and done portion controlled containers but trying to become even more self aware.

This definitely isn’t the easy way out, and is a constant learning process. Thank you to all of you who have been through this journey with me and offered your support. It means a lot to me.

Replies

• Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Happy two year!!! :D

• jcavanna2
    Options
    Thanks @Samquentin!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Amazing what a difference 2 years makes...
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Happy surgeversary! You look great! Definitely not the easy way out by any means. Every day is still the routine of counting calories, measuring foods and trying to stay within my limits....all while trying not to feel deprived. Some days I have a frozen Coke from Burger King, sometimes I drink straight water all day long. But I keep going. I screwed up last year, fell hard off the wagon and used everything that was going on as an excuse not to log or count my calories. That's on me.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @StevenGarrigus thank you! I agree that it’s an every day accountability thing. Sometimes we fall off the wagon, and that’s ok. One thing I think is so critical is that when we fall off the wagon we are aware of it and correct it as soon as possible. The way I see it we can start fixing things with the next meal. We are human. We crave stuff that’s not always the healthiest and that’s ok!

I do find when I overindulge especially when it comes to sweets that I get really sick or I get very drowsy if I eat too many carbs or sugar.

I think we need to try to focus on how far we have come and not beat ourselves up if and when we do slip up. I am trying to do what I can to minimize how many processed foods I eat, though I probably won’t be able to eliminate them completely just because of my life being insane. I designate Sunday as my meal prep days and find that I do so much better when I find new recipes to keep things interesting. I hate plain yogurt of any kind but I found a WW recipe for a blueberry compote to put over it and it was amazing. I had tons of leftover strawberries from the farmers market and rather than toss them I made a strawberry rhubarb compote which I have over fat free plain Greek yogurt which is amazing. I froze the rest of the berries so I can look for recipes to use them in.

This is certainly a daily learning process, but it’s awesome that we have a great group of people in this MFP group to lend their support and suggestions.

Jen :)
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 I know all about life being insane! I'm constantly picking up and dropping off my two daughters from various school activities, soccer practice, band practice, etc. I have my little 8 month old buddy that keeps me busy just about every waking second. A cat & dog, going to visit family, work (with mandatory overtime about once per week) and everything else!
  • elle77belle
    elle77belle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Happppppppy Anniversary! It's definitely not an easy thing but we stick to it and try our best EVERYDAY! I'll hit the 2 year mark in November!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @elle77belle thank you! MoSt definitely not an easy thing!! Just gotta keep chugging along :)
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Happy Surgiversary, or as I like to call it my 2nd Birthday. Thank you for being here and supporting us all, you never judge us when we get it totally wrong, and you lift us up when we're down. Hope you had a happy day!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Thank you @loveshoe! We are all human and we all make mistakes. I’m grateful for such an awesome support system!
  • anubile1967
    anubile1967 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am almost 3 years post-op and started to get back on track this week. I have had a 15 pound regain since last Fall and this week I'm down 4 pounds so far. I know exactly what you mean when you say surgery isn't the easy way out, but I do find that I do so much better when I'm back to basics and accountable every day. Keep up the great
    work!

This is my before and after:
    rodervmru0ai.jpg
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @anubile1967 you look fantastic! Agree this isn’t the easy way out, and fortunately we have each other for support on the way!
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You good amazing!