C25K, Piriformis, and Setting a Goal.

tsquaredmama
tsquaredmama Posts: 168 Member
Hi! :smile: I just started (again) C25K. I have a long history on MFP that waxes and wanes. Let's see if I can tell you an abbreviated version of myself. :wink:

I'm a 35 year old, Mom of 2 travel baseball & basketball playing boys (I mention that because it means a lot of sitting via driving and bleachers :neutral: ), I have a very fit husband of soon-to-be 12 years, and I'm a former D3 college athlete (volleyball). About 4/5 years ago, I hit fitness hard after a hiatus following the birth of my 2 children. I strength trained and mixed running with HIIT for great success on a moderate diet that I believe was successful because I logged frequently and was aware of my ups/downs.

I was able to get my 5'8 frame back down into the 154-158 range, which for me is ideal as I'm built in a more athletic type manner. Fast forward to 2 years ago, I pulled an ab muscle (unsure how) and was rehabbing that....only to end up stumbling into piriformis issues (I believe to be a result of core issues while deadlifting). I have since struggled and have yet to consistently be back into the gym. I see a chiropractor here and there. I tried PT, learned somethings to work on at the gym. But mostly I manage it on my own as I've heard everything from 'you'll never lift heavy again' to 'stretch, ice, repeat'.... so now I try to balance what I've been told along the way with what I find to be successful for myself.

And so now, I am trying to get myself back into a routine that doesn't cause more pirfiromis flare ups (minor fail since I"m sitting on a lacrosse ball right now :blush: ) BUT, I must keep at it because I am now at 175 and very uncomfortable with my level of fitness and health.

SO....I decided to jump back into C25K taking caution to pay attention to my hip/pain level. As of right now, I do c25k 3x a week, spin class 2x a week, and a mix of upper body/PT work for the piriformis. Some days are better than others. But, I wanted to find some place on MFP that I could join and be more accountable with this goal.

I recently found a 10k obstacle course race that is in September which I would LOVE to do with my husband. I'm a long ways from that...but right now I have a 143 days to work towards it! I'm hoping by being here I can be more successful than I have been the last few times I've tried to 'make a come back'. My frustration with my hip gets the best of me as of late but I'm hopeful that putting my goals out there and engaging in a community of MFP members, I'll find more consistency and accountability!

Thanks for reading this far!! :wink:

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Sounds like you are making the right choices to get your health and your mind back on track. Don't push it too hard and remember to give yourself some slack and take plenty of rest time. I'm currently running every other day b/c I have two kids under two and I need my sleep. I did my first 5k race (in two years) last weekend and it was an amazing accomplishment and I only intend to do more as time goes on. I have an extremely supportive husband who takes the reigns with the kids when I get up super early and go running. I'm about 15 lbs from my ultra goal weight but right now just knowing I'm eating well and gaining strength and endurance I'm feeling great.
    You got this! You can add me if you'd like. I have an open diary for friends, log daily and exercise every other day....plus, I walk at work twice a day.