Need help with clean

Options
luckynky
luckynky Posts: 123 Member
Does anyone have a good video or tutorial on the clean? I've watched Lauren Brooks' video on how not to bang up forearms, but I just can't seem to get it. Furthermore, I seem to be banging the outside of my bicep. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jsazieser
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how you're hitting your bicep. Is the kettlebell not swinging around and away from you? How heavy of a kettlebell are you using? I'm not an expert, but do a lot of cleans.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone at the minute but it was kbellqueen that helped me realise how vertical the movement is.

You move your arm around the temporarily weightless bell rather than flipping the bell over. Like many lifts, with heavy bells, you also soften your knees and dip a bit to cushion the landing on your forearm.
  • luckynky
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how you're hitting your bicep. Is the kettlebell not swinging around and away from you? How heavy of a kettlebell are you using? I'm not an expert, but do a lot of cleans.

It's 10 lbs. The kettlebell is swinging around, then lands into my bicep. I actually now have a nice bruise on the left one. Part of this problem is that it's nearly impossible to describe anything like kettlebell movements with words and be precise. :(
  • luckynky
    Options
    I'm on my phone at the minute but it was kbellqueen that helped me realise how vertical the movement is.

You move your arm around the temporarily weightless bell rather than flipping the bell over. Like many lifts, with heavy bells, you also soften your knees and dip a bit to cushion the landing on your forearm.

kbellqueen is Lauren Brooks. She actually has what seems to be a good video on how to do the clean without hitting your arms, but for some reason, I just can't see exactly what she's doing right that I'm doing wrong. I don't know if it's the angle or that she goes so fast.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Try this one from Neghar Fonooni: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlfSByF4Irg
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have banged my arm a few times. This is not an uncommon issue in KB classes. Some people in my KB class cut off the toes of a tube sock, then double it and put it on their arms. I have also seen people use more robust arm protectors, such as kid's soccer shin guards. I found I could deal with this issue by getting the clean technique down precisely, and so don't use arm guards.

By starting the inward pull (towards your body) lower, such as around your waist, you can vacuum it up into position close to your body without banging your arm. Essentially, you want to avoid having the kettlebell ever have any downward momentum during the clean motion. It's all done with a combination of upward momentum and inward pulling energy towards the center of your body.

It also helps to have a bigger kettlebell, but you may not be in a position to take advantage of that just yet.
  • luckynky
    Options
    I have banged my arm a few times. This is not an uncommon issue in KB classes. Some people in my KB class cut off the toes of a tube sock, then double it and put it on their arms. I have also seen people use more robust arm protectors, such as kid's soccer shin guards. I found I could deal with this issue by getting the clean technique down precisely, and so don't use arm guards.

By starting the inward pull (towards your body) lower, such as around your waist, you can vacuum it up into position close to your body without banging your arm. Essentially, you want to avoid having the kettlebell ever have any downward momentum during the clean motion. It's all done with a combination of upward momentum and inward pulling energy towards the center of your body.

It also helps to have a bigger kettlebell, but you may not be in a position to take advantage of that just yet.

Thank you-- I think your choice of words seems very helpful. I do have a 20 lb bell, but I found that to be a bit much for anything other than two handed swings and round the worlds at this point.
  • luckynky
    Options
    Try this one from Neghar Fonooni: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlfSByF4Irg

This is a great tutorial. Thanks so much- very helpful.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I really banged up my wrists and upper arms when learning to clean...but I stuck it out and got it down. Never used any sort of wrist or arm guards, but I did wear long sleeved shirts (not that it helped a great deal).

My problem was that I was using way too much force, so a heavier bell was just the thing to straighten that out. When I got the movement pattern down, then I was fine to clean with lighter bells.

I love Neghar's tutorials, by the way.
  • luckynky
    Options
    Oh man, I really banged up my wrists and upper arms when learning to clean...but I stuck it out and got it down. Never used any sort of wrist or arm guards, but I did wear long sleeved shirts (not that it helped a great deal).

My problem was that I was using way too much force, so a heavier bell was just the thing to straighten that out. When I got the movement pattern down, then I was fine to clean with lighter bells.

I love Neghar's tutorials, by the way.

Neghar's tutorial is just what I needed-- she really stresses sticking your arm to your ribcage, and that seems to be most of my problem, along with using too much force. I think I need to get a kettlebell between the two sizes I already have.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Look up Lorna Kleidman. She is the Woman's kettlebell champ, she has good videos on her webpage.