April 23 Weekly Challenge: Make Your Week Harder

Options
2»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up, my Dad always made life harder in order to get more exercise. My parents have been such good examples. He always parks in the first spot he sees (usually the farthest away) in a parking lot, and when I moved into my college dorm on the 11th floor of the building, we carried all of the furniture, clothes, etc. up 11 flights of stairs instead of using the elevator :)

Now that I'm an adult I like to make my life harder as well. This past fall we jumped into the busy world of having a milk cow, and I got so busy milking, making cheese, and caring for her that I didn't always have time to exercise. So when I filled her water tank with buckets, 5 gallons at a time, I would run the 150 meters back to our house and do burpees or jumping jacks while someone inside filled up the buckets. I would be sweating buckets by the time I had her 100 gallon tank filled.

Such a great post, @littlebear0121 for so many reasons. Your parents clearly set a good example for you early on and had good habits and practices that made moving more the rule and not the exception. You’ve certainly embraced their move more values.

“Harder choices now, easier choices later. Easier choices now and harder choices later” is certainly true. The lifestyle decisions we make now have a big impact on the kind of life we have later on and whether we maintain our independence and mobility or we don’t. Gotta choose wisely.
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yesterday I needed a couple zippers. I live in a small town where you never know if you'll find what you need so I called the store to ask. They had them. Then I walked to get them. It would have been really easy to get in the car and 15 minutes instead of near an hour. But life needs to be harder, right? Bonus... I didn't use gas or car wear and tear either!

Problem with the threads... I can no longer click on the star either to select or deselect. This is what I get.
    hd4h4mmlvw93.png
    Any thoughts?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Yesterday I needed a couple zippers. I live in a small town where you never know if you'll find what you need so I called the store to ask. They had them. Then I walked to get them. It would have been really easy to get in the car and 15 minutes instead of near an hour. But life needs to be harder, right? Bonus... I didn't use gas or car wear and tear either!

Problem with the threads... I can no longer click on the star either to select or deselect. This is what I get.
    hd4h4mmlvw93.png
    Any thoughts?

Right now, @bcTRAI, there is a problem on MFP with “starring” the threads you are interested in following so that you get a notification when someone makes a new comment. When you try to star a thread, you get the “You need Vanilla. Discussions. View permission to do that.” error message that you are seeing. The problem is on MFPs end, not yours. They know about the problem, but I’m going to circle back to the MFP Help desk and see if there are any updates.

The extra punctuation in the cryptic error message is priceless.

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    @themedalist
    Love this!
    “Harder choices now, easier choices later. Easier choices now and harder choices later”

When I was having car serviced, I didn’t sit in the verrry nice customer lounge with goodies and free awesome coffee, but put on my sunscreen & hat & walked to a bookstore, browsed, and then took a longer way back :)

I think a standing desk will be next for me since the only time I sit for long periods is when I’m working on my computer.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Took to the stairs today! I was very happy about that.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    All week I kept looking for all the little ways to make my day harder. When out in the garden I would take smaller bits of garden cleanup to the trash bag instead of bringing the bag with me to fill up.
    Parking far away is always a given with me. My DH always says he needs to pack a lunch to get to where we are going :laugh: if I'm the driver.
    I stand up to color sometimes.
    Sometimes I'd take a thing at a time to where it belonged when tidying up. Our house is one level and not that spread out, so I have to do everything I can think of to increase activity.
    Laundry: When taking clothes off the line I bring in partial loads to increase walking time. I also sometimes bring partial loads to the line, but often I bring the whole load because with it being wet it can get quite heavy, so that is strength exercise, especially when it is my DH's work clothes loads.

I always like the reminder to make my day harder :D .

:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    All week I kept looking for all the little ways to make my day harder. When out in the garden I would take smaller bits of garden cleanup to the trash bag instead of bringing the bag with me to fill up.
    Parking far away is always a given with me. My DH always says he needs to pack a lunch to get to where we are going :laugh: if I'm the driver.
    I stand up to color sometimes.
    Sometimes I'd take a thing at a time to where it belonged when tidying up. Our house is one level and not that spread out, so I have to do everything I can think of to increase activity.
    Laundry: When taking clothes off the line I bring in partial loads to increase walking time. I also sometimes bring partial loads to the line, but often I bring the whole load because with it being wet it can get quite heavy, so that is strength exercise, especially when it is my DH's work clothes loads.

I always like the reminder to make my day harder :D .

:flowerforyou:

I've always thought drying the clothes on a line is such good exercise, and sometimes I miss my clothesline.