Introduce yourself and your horse!

Options
13»

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My mustang will jump the small trench when riding too. Small logs is all I do although my daughter's pony can do 3' I am not interested in anything that high.

I love reading the older posts. I know how good it feels to be able to get on without a mounting block. Even though Chico is only 14.2 so it's kind of like cheating.

One of the posts remarked that people don't believe she is as heavy as she is. I have the same thing happen. I think years of riding has given us more muscle in our legs and we all know muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm D and this (my avatar) is Primer. I'm 44 and have at least 35lbs to lose. Primer is 19 and a registered Paint (but not a pinto). I like dressage; he prefers to be left in his stall but humors me for candy.

I have ridden off and on most of my life but I consider myself a perpetual beginner. For some reason, though, the lead instructor thinks I know enough to teach so that's how I spend my Saturdays.

Primer is a former lesson horse who had to be rehomed because he is losing sight in his left eye. This causes him to startle more easily. Not a safe ride for beginners but perfect for me.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    I'm a newer rider. In fact, I'm a city boy that assured my GF when we started dating that if she was looking for a cowboy she'd have to look elsewhere. Well, somehow in the process of encouraging her to ride and chase her dreams, I got roped into riding. That snowballed, and now I own a horse of my own named PJ. He's a lot like Micheledavison39's boy - "likes everything to be exactly HIS way so sometimes riding can be interesting." Especially for a novice rider like me. The problem is, I picked up some of the basics so well that everyone thinks I know more than I do. :s

PJ is a Spotted American Saddle horse - and we're convinced he's a draft cross because of his size. He's only 15.2hh, but he's very solidly built - almost twice the width of her Paint. He LOVES people, LOVES attention, LOVES food, LOVES to bow (especially for food), LOVES to show off.... and loves to get things HIS way. :p He's also virtually bomb-proof, which is a wonderful quality to have for a new rider in his mid-40's. Within a week of being introduced to the gelding herd at the equestrian center we're boarding him, he managed to convince the others that he was the herd leader. For all of that, he gives across a strong impression of calmness, patience and gentleness that causes even toddlers and people who are fearful of horses to feel more at ease. He really is an amazing horse!

My GF (who is a far better rider than she gives herself credit for) has been helping me with him, as well as teaching me occasionally when our schedules allow. She rides English (something about a postage stamp), but I much prefer to ride western. I've thought about the idea of trying Cowboy Dressage someday, but who knows if I'll ever find enough motivation to actually do so - there isn't really any support for it in this area, sadly.

I'm Sterling BTW. Or Hey you works too. :p