400 to 26.2 - Marathon April 29

Options
JamesAztec
JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
With my first FULL Marathon fast approaching I've been doing lots of reflecting on my life and health. Especially the changes that have occurred the past few years. Running (and hopefully completing) this Marathon will undoubtably be the biggest achievement of my adult life (I've never been married or have any children).

Like many Americans, I gained weight slowly over decades. A few pounds here and there add up over the years. I tried different diets and got "serious" about my health many times. In 2008 I went from 350 to 270. But alas, I couldn't sustain it. By the time I moved from Colorado to the Central Coast of California in 2012 (I live in San Luis Obispo currently) I weighed nearly 400lbs. I got a job for the county bus system in May 2013 and received health benefits when I went full time shortly thereafter. I remember looking at the packet and seeing that my HMO covered bariatric surgery. I had always thought about it but could never afford it. I was secretly envious of people who had it but also thought they were taking "the easy way out". Little did I know, it ain't EASY!

The process of actually getting the surgery took 18 months. Lots of hoops to jump through and missteps along the way. I continued to struggle with my weight. Topping out at 403lbs in February of 2014. Finally in January 2015 I met the bariatric team in Bakersfield (over 2 hours from where I lived). It got "real" once the bariatric nurse told me to eat 1,200 calories and that I had to lose 20lbs before surgery. I knew I couldn't eat that low calorie but I figured if I cut out sweets I could lose pretty quickly. I did and started walking and lost 11lbs the first two weeks. By the time my surgery came around in March I had lost 35lbs. My surgeon was very pleased with the pre-op weight loss. Of course I asked him about a "goal weight". He thought I could easily get to 250 and maybe even 220. Those numbers sounded fantastic to me! Honestly, I figured if I could just bust below 300 I'd be estatic. I hadn't been under 300 since 2009.

Since 2015 I've tried my best to educate myself on diet and exercise. And especially how it relates to bariatric surgery (I had the sleeve). My opionins on many topics have evolved over time. For now, I feel good about my eating and moving habits. I've found what works for ME. My weight loss was fairly steady that first year. I went from 395 to 230. In October 2016 I had a bout with shingles. That, along with lounging around eating Belvitas caused me to "regain" a few pounds. Once I got over that I tightened up my sugar/refined carbs a bit more and the pounds melted away for the next 8 months. I've been under 200lbs for almost a year now. I don't know my exact weight because I havent' weighed since Jan 1 but I estimate it's around 195lbs.

In addition to the weight loss, my life and health have improved DRAMATICALLY the past three years. I was on 7 prescription medications and I now take ZERO. My blood work is AWESOME. All my health measurables are good to great. My doctor says I'm his "star patient" and that I have my eating habits "down to a science". I eat plenty of good, tasty food all day long and rarely deal with cravings. I indulge from time to time but try to keep those indulgences to special occasions. My mental health is much better too and I'm much HAPPIER. Basically, life is the BEST it's ever been for me!

I thank everyone in the group for the support I get. I have a different way of eating than most but everyone is respectful and supportive. At times in the past I know I've come off as abrasive but I think I've softened over the years. We're all a work in progress, right? The support I get on MFP and FitBit. And from my friends and family have been VITAL in my achieving my health goals.

And now this Sunday I face the daunting task of traveling 26.2 miles on foot. I get emotional just thinking about it. I'll have numerous friends and co-workers on the course and at the finish to root me on. I'm confident those cheers will push me through to the finish. :-) I recently did an interview with the SLO Tribune newspaper. I've been told the article will be published online tonight. Once it is I'll post a link. Thank you all again and wish me luck!

Replies