Options
Ila1227
Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
Just wondering what that looks like for each of you

Replies

• spuds345
    spuds345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying to subscribe to a CLEAN PALEO W.O.E. Low carbs / high protein and no processed foods, white foods or refined sugars. I am also trying to find as much non-GMO meats & foods as I can but it's hard.

Not sure if this qualifies
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    spuds345 wrote: »
    I am trying to subscribe to a CLEAN PALEO W.O.E. Low carbs / high protein and no processed foods, white foods or refined sugars. I am also trying to find as much non-GMO meats & foods as I can but it's hard.

Glad you found the clean eating group. Did you also find the paleo one? You'll find more like minded folks in the smaller groups, than on the larger boards, I suspect. Good luck.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Nutrient dense, properly prepared, whole foods. I buy very little from the middle aisles at the grocery store, I shop the perimeter. I buy as much as I can at Farmers Markets where I can talk to the producer and learn about their product and their farming practices.

I eat little to no sugar, if I need sweet I use honey or Stevia. No processed foods. Eat the rainbow. Eat as much as the animal as possible, so meat, fat, organs, bone broth, etc. Cook with health fats like avocado oil, lard, bacon fat, etc. Don't cook oils beyond their smoke point, like evoo or sesame oil shouldn't be heated above 350 so I use them as finishing oils for some added health fats.

FTR I'm not perfect, there is a randon York Peppermint Patty in my desk drawer LOL
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    spuds345 wrote: »

Same. I’m keto & Paleo & I only eat organic animal products (so non gmo too). I don’t eat any GMOs actually. Any veggies on the dirty dozen I also only eat organic.
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My clean eating is a gradual process. As I learn more about nutrients, healthy eating, how that effects my exercise and daily routines, I will adjust accordingly.

But at this point, I monitor my sodium level with the MFP app. This has been a great learning process to see how much sodium I have been consuming and ways to decrease it to healthy levels. I also watch my sugar levels and I am trying to reduce that as well to healthy levels. As for as food is concerned. I try to stay away from canned soups, frozen dinners as they to are high in sodium.

I like to make my own pasta sauces. I am learning to make salad dressing with the help of videos posted on youtube.

I eat a lot more fresh vegetables, like spinach, potatoes, squash, etc... whole wheat pasta, un-breaded frozen fish, can tuna fish.

I still eat beef, pork, chicken. sausages.

I am a firm believer that what each of us eats is a personal & sacred. What works for you, won't always work for me and what works for me, won't always work for you. But we can learn from each other.

• foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    clean eating to me is not mixing other ingredients with a vegetable or meat. I'm a beginner, so small steps
    I still do meat, dairy, rice; but, try two clean meals a day; breakfast and lunch; then treat myself to a fuller evening meal. I'm trying to change that fuller meal to lunch.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For me Clean Food means
    Produce from the produce aisle.
    Beans/legume/nuts from the bulk dry goods section
    Meat from the butcher
    Sea Food from the Fish monger
    I'm not a dairy person other than yogurt, and small amounts of Cottage Cheese.

If I need to go against that overall premise for a specific recipe, say I need marinated artichokes, I read very carefully. Oils, Sauces, Vinegar I read carefully.

I'm not concerned about buzzwords, like gluten free, nongmo, organic or any of that.
    I generally look out for sodium, sugar, and other preservatives in packaged goods I try to keep them as low as possible.

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Hello!

A dairy sensitivity (think poison oak/ivy) makes it hard to eat out or use a lot of processed foods. It's just safer to cook from scratch. My mind would love to be vegan but my body is a carnivore, so mind lets body have poultry and fish. Vegetables, nuts, avocados, beans and soy are nummers and fruit is my sports candy.

I've replaced lunch/dinner with an early supper and augment it with a small snack (unless it's late, in which case I just go to sleep). My breakfast is always protein, usually turkey jerky and coffee cuz this "not a morning person" needs AM to be easy. (ps Turkey jerky & coffee with almond milk is really yummy and filling.)

Night cravings and an insidiously slow weight creep sent me searching for help, which is how I found this group. And a recent transition from HP to LCHP (low carb high protein) helped kick all (fingers crossed!) those cravings. It's only been a week. Hoping this is a permanent WOE.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    To me, eating clean is eating unprocessed foods. I do buy some packaged foods, but try to get organic with simple ingredients.
  • kerrihmiller
    kerrihmiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To me, clean eating is fresh fruits and veggies, no processed foods, natural ingredients, and things made from scratch. Limiting added sugar and junk foods to a minimum.