Exercise: cardio and strength training?

cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
Does exercise speed up weight loss? Would cardio or strength training make fat loss faster? I know building muscle will ADD weight to my body, but will that muscle burn more fat? And is it possible to gain muscle at a calorie deficit, because I don't wanna eat more to sustain working out. I was thinking I should focus on fat loss first, then rebuild once I'm close to my goal weight, but now I wonder if working out now would be more effective? I've got about 35lb to go.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Steady state cardio is beneficial for weight loss. Most say it is easier to just not eat a couple hundred calories rather than spend an hour walking briskly to burn a couple hundred but I'm a walker and it certainly didn't hinder fat loss.

Everything I've read indicates one can not gain muscle in a calorie deficit except for possible newbie gains for someone who starts lifting. Lifting will protect your lean body mass.

Do a Google or youtube on Eric Helms or Layne Norton. You'll find their well respected professional opinion. Also read in the mfp fitness forum. You'll gain plenty of insight there. It's a friendly forum with some very helpful regulars many of whom who appear to be in great physical shape and are in general agreement regarding the basics for new folks interested in starting an exercise program.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Yes, burning calories will speed weight loss, but not by much, and be aware that exercise will stimulate appetite in most people, so many people who begin working out also begin eating more or struggling more to remain on plan with food.

There are lots of people who do not think it's possible to gain muscle in a deficit...I am not one of those people, and I have definitely added muscle myself while maintaining an overall calorie deficit. The law of thermodynamics was made for simple machines, not the complex human body, it doesn't really apply. Particularly if you have fat reserves for your body to metabolize for energy, you can be generating much more energy than you are consuming.

Exercise is good for your body for many reasons beyond weight loss, so absolutely it is in your best interest to exercise for bone health, and mobility, and cardiovascular health, etc. It will improve your life in more ways than weight loss alone.

Do be aware that you will likely gain some water weight if you start a new exercise routine, don't let the scale get to you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited April 2018
    I managed to delete the comment I made this weekend, but I'll see if I can remember.

Look up Darth Luiggi on Reddit/Keto. He's been weightlifting while keto for 10+ years, if I recall.

Remember that anything over 25-30 minutes of intense exercise and 45-60 minutes of light exercise will create a hunger over and above calories burned. And any excess exercise burns through your nutrients, so nutrient dense foods, particularly after workouts will be crucial.

Getting moving helps, but don't shoot yourself in the foot - because as the saying goes, you can't out exercise a bad diet - weight loss is in the kitchen, fitness is in the gym. Each can enhance the other, but doesn't replace it (I know that you weren't looking to replace your food choices, just saying).

Also, remember that if you have any sort of hormonal thing going on, adrenal, insulin (resistance, etc.), cortisol, female hormones, endocrine/thyroid, etc., that working out too much or too intensely can actually be damaging to your existing metabolism. Be sure to rule those things out and get a basic check out from a doc before beginning workouts...