Cracked a little today...

Options
cloveraz
cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
I finished off the M&Ms and finished off a .35 of the organic dark chocolate bar...Gah

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I finished off the M&Ms and finished off a .35 of the organic dark chocolate bar...Gah

It happens, so don't be too hard on yourself!!!! At least ya got some antioxidants from the dark chocolate :drinker:
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I did, too. Realized I'm going to have to put Trader Joe's liquer cherries on what I'd have called my "red light" list: foods that are safer *not* in our house. Bought some for Sunday teatime (a family custom with treat to celebrate our day of rest and recreation) but I found the leftovers too hard to resist this afternoon after the post-swimming munchies hit.

Still made my calorie goal for today but might have sugar cravings tomorrow. Hope I don't. But ate a healthy dinner and have tomorrow's healthy food planned.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    It happens to the best of us! Last week I ate a couple handfuls of Cool Ranch Doritos... I couldn't help myself! But I shook it off, and started fresh the next morning. Remember, tomorrow is a brand new day!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I cheated by eating cheese and croutons with a chicken club salad from a chain restaurant.
    I gave up dairy and wheat when I started my Paleo lifestyle.
    I'm 'paying for it' tonight, with some 'gastric distress'.
    At least that salad had BACON!
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i see no problem eating some chocolate! why not just schedule some every single day and work it into your calories, no guilt? it helps me to not feel deprived. good luck!
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No worries. Try not to beat yourself up about it too much. I had a few slip ups myself this weekend gone, but take it in stride as much as you can and make the next meal or snack better. Trying to be perfect will drive you mad!! Once you're not gorging on everything in sight, you'll be just fine :)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    This is precisely why Mark Sisson says to eat at 80% goodness. That way you can "slip" and it's not a disaster. If your nutrition is built around the idea that 80% of what you eat is good for you and 20% is neutral, fun food, you will not be so tempted to slip and you won't feel guilty when you have some dark chocolate ... which honestly is neutral at its worst as long as you don't go overboard and have a half pound of it or something.

There are some foods I absolutely MUST NOT EAT - peanut butter cookies, for example. I will eat them until they are gone. Not a good thing, for someone who is insulin resistant. I have a list of foods (mostly in my head) that consists of:

Foods I should eat: they are in my 80% rule, they are healthy and good for me, and I should make sure I am eating the majority of my meals out of this category. Beef, EVOO and green beans are in this category.

Foods I can eat: They are in my 20% rule, they are neutral for me, and it's okay if I am having these things as treats on a moderate basis. Dark chocolate and red wine are in this category.

Foods I MUST NOT EAT: I stay far away from these foods because they are destructive to my health, my weight or my digestive system. Brownies and peanut butter cookies are in this category.

Don't beat yourself up over this, just get back to eating 80% from the "Foods I should eat" category" and enjoy your life.

I should note that I am not "paleo" ... I am a primal type guy, I pay attention to Dave Asprey and Mark Sisson ... and Lou Shuler is probably now on that list, too.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    i see no problem eating some chocolate! why not just schedule some every single day and work it into your calories, no guilt? it helps me to not feel deprived. good luck!

Not a problem with *chocolate* per se, but (as someone said) the *kind* of chocolate. I can eat a square of 85% chocolate and feel satisfied and pampered. Key word "satisfied". Whereas, I can eat (and did, last night) eat *five* TJ's liquer cherries and want more. Lots more. The only reason I stopped at five is because that's all there were.

Therefore I consider them at present a "danger" food for me. Something that triggers strong cravings is better avoided. How strange (to my mind, though I have an idea of the biochemical reasons) that I can stop at one square of bitterswwet chocolate and have really enjoyed it, and yet could conceivably eat half a box of gourmet chocolate cherries and be happy while they lasted, but ubsatisfied as soon as the last one was gone.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ What he said!
    Trying to be perfect can ultimately only lead to failure! Give yourself some leeway and empathy!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    M&Ms would be a problem for me, too. Don't know just what it is in them that trigger cravings but I know if I eat a little I'll be left unsatisfied. Our teens still eat them but I no longer ask for a share. It took a couple of weeks but now they're off my radar and I don't miss them anymore or feel deprived.

Look at the bright side! As you "finished them off" they're gone now, right? No more temptation in that corner.