Foods for the day and carb count

Options
HI! i'm curious what do you ate on a regular bases for the ideal protein foods in phase 1. I feel like i might need to pay closer attention the carbs in them. i was drinking a strawberry banana every morning for breakfast and it has 9g of carbs! woza that's a lot for a none restricted food. Does anyone else pay attention this?

Replies

• cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I didn't pay too much attention, if it was non-restricted I considered myself good. After being on the program for about 3 months and the possibility of getting bored with my journalling and possibly hitting a plateau, I joined MFP and started logging in everything. (I love the app too, helps me stay motivated even when I can't get to my computer!) Anyways, it started to point out that I should continue to care because even when I followed protocol to the letter of the law, I was often hitting my max net carb counts to stay in ketosis properly. I think it really depends on where a person is mentally and emotionally as to how ... strictly they need to keep track of every single carb. A person who has 100 lbs to lose has a bit more leeway than someone who is down to their last 10 pounds. I love this diet because the rules are easy. If I get too obsessed about EVERY little thing, I set myself up for fear and failure when I will finally hit maintenance phase.

Another hint, the more variety you get in your IP foods AND in your meat and vegetables, the better off you will be when you're ready to wean yourself off them. When I did this program in 2010, there was much less variety and the best foods by far were the chocolate products. I regularly ate 2 or more each day - which was perfectly within the rules. However, it didn't deal with the sweet tooth, and when I finished losing weight, I quickly substituted the real stuff back in. :(

My absolutely favourite IP food is the Hot Chocolate!! I also fairly regularly have the broc/chz soup, mango premixed drink, and the vanilla premade drink. Oh, and the soy puffs. I try to keep my choices to 1 chocolate product a day so I don't run into the same problem in the future.

Good luck!
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love the cappuccino in the morning and add my coffee to it after heating it up. I feel like I am really having a cappuccino. My favorite soup is the chicken and since I work in an office with a microwave, I buy Green Giant frozen broccoli, spinach and asparagus to heat up with my soup. I also have a small salad with IP allowed veges and use the Walden Farms dressings which are much better than when I tried them ages ago.
    I make a Big Mac salad using iceberg lettuce, dehydrated onions reconstituted, dill pickles, a grilled hamburger that I crumble up and top it with Thousand Island Walden Farm salad dressing. It is awesome.

The total carb count is just fine and your body needs this much for basic nutrition and metabolism. I love this plan and have been on it since 7/9/13 and have lost 14# on it. I couldn't be more pleased!
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Big mac salad - sounds good!! My DH is a burger FREAK but eating them plain is not so awesome :( think I'll have to invest in some of that walden farms 1000 isles. (It was pretty yucky back in 2010, encouraged to hear they have improved their recipes)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm new to IP (day 4 today) and I've come from 2 years of eating low carb/high fat and tracking my macros so adjusting to the daily numbers I'm getting with this program has been a challenge for me. Today my net carbs was 43 which is double what I'm used to. I have to say I'm really enjoying this so far, its nice to have a bag of bbq crisps or a vanilla crispy treat and not feel guilty about it. I am missing my cheese & avocados though :(
  • mzmeka
    mzmeka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    kristafb wrote: »
    I am missing my cheese & avocados though :(
    Me too!! I'm only one week in. Tomorrow is my first weigh in.

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    mzmeka wrote: »
    kristafb wrote: »
    I am missing my cheese & avocados though :(
    Me too!! I'm only one week in. Tomorrow is my first weigh in.

Oh and I forgot Mayo & cream for my coffee! I've actually switched to tea which I can handle with a bit of the vanilla drink in.

I had my first weigh in yesterday and lost 11 lbs!!! My coach was shocked! So was I to be honest. I certainly don't feel like I lost that much. Apparently my body likes not having dairy. :D