5/3 Thursday Day 3 SLBC: Choose Your One Thing

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
ufi9c6c2na85.jpg

Theme: Pick Your 'One Thing'

Today’s Challenge: Yesterday's challenge gave us an overview of how habits work and the three components of every habit: the trigger, the routine, and the reward. Today we are going to build on that challenge by selecting just one sit-less action that we will prioritize over the next 3 weeks. What would be a good priority action for you? We call this action your “One Thing”.

Select a Trigger, a Sit-Less Habit, and a Reward

To increase the odds that your one thing becomes a habit, decide what your trigger will be to remember to do your new sit-less habit and what also will be your reward. The best trigger is something you already do every day or several times a day, or something that happens to you every day such as the phone ringing. Triggers and rewards are vital to the habit building process, so please don't skip them. They are the glue that make our new habits stick.

Would you like some examples of Sit Less “One Things” paired with triggers and rewards?

https://www.quittingthesitting.org/trigger-habit-reward-loops-for-new-sit-less-habits.html

Need some more ideas for sitting less?

This is an interesting and comprehensive list:
https://www.participaction.com/en-ca/blog/lifestyle-culture/150-easy-ways-to-sit-less-every-day

Since we want to be sitting less long after the challenge has ended, it's important to find ways to sit less that work for us and fit into our lives. It can't be something you hate doing or you won't stick with it. It's also important not to try and change too many things at once and make the whole process overwhelmingly hard. The James Clear article below is a good explanation of why it's important to focus on only one habit at a time.

Tell us what you've chosen to be your new sit-less habit, your One Thing! And then practice it today!

Supplemental Reading:

A Simple Plan to Sit Less:
http://www.quittingthesitting.org/simple-plan-to-sit-less

James Clear's The Scientific Argument for Mastering One Thing at a Time:
http://jamesclear.com/master-one-thing

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    Trigger: Walking down to mandatory morning muster.

One thing: do two laps of the second floor before going.

Reward: Coffee in staff room.

Great sit-less habit @coolchick207!
  • themedalist
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am enjoying reading about your one things!

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    Trigger: every time my husband's timer goes off(He has a timer for EVERYTHING)
    One Thing: lap around the house
    Reward: fist pump

@texasgardnr, your idea sounds great, I might try that one thing, too!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Trigger...first cup of coffee in the morning. I usually grab a cup, sit on the couch and watch the news.

One thing...Grab coffee, turn on music and start side stepping or walking around the house.

Reward...second cup of coffee

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Trigger...first cup of coffee in the morning. I usually grab a cup, sit on the couch and watch the news.

One thing...Grab coffee, turn on music and start side stepping or walking around the house.

Love it!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »

This is a fantastic One Thing, @PinkyPan1! First of all, there’s coffee involved and in my book that’s always a good thing. :) . But also, when the TV’s on we tend to sit. But when music is playing we are more likely to be up and moving, doing things or even dancing around the house. Music is a great tool for naturally moving more.

Turn off the TV and turn on the music and you’ll sit less.

Enjoy that coffee!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Trigger: Commercials
    One Thing: Get up and move until they're over
    Reward: I'm taking my life back and getting healthy! Yea me!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Trigger: Commercials
    One Thing: Get up and move until they're over
    Reward: I'm taking my life back and getting healthy! Yea me!

Love it! You are taking your life back!
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Trigger: When I turn the TV on after dinner
    One Thing: Assigned PT strengthening exercises (they are easy)
    Reward: One hour of TV
  • themedalist
    Options
    Trigger: When I turn the TV on after dinner
    One Thing: Assigned PT strengthening exercises (they are easy)
    Reward: One hour of TV

I like this, @HelenGrace203! TV can be a trigger, a reward, or even a One Thing if you watch while being active.

Nicely done!

• lwintx
    lwintx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Trigger: Time for lunch!
    Sit-Less Habit: go out for a 10 or 15 minute walk during my lunch break
    Reward/Affirmation: I'm doing this because it's healthy for me than sitting for my entire lunch break
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am behind on my days, but am working on it!
    Trigger: turning on I-pad & checking e-mails
    Sit less habit: Either stand or walk on treadmill while doing it
    Reward: getting healthier & getting my 10,000 steps in.

Also..I have been trying to get my 10,000 steps in for the last 2 months. Some days, not so successful. I also went to the American Heart Association website to see my heart rate goals for my age (68). Found out for my age & "out of shape-ness", I was trying to go too fast & heart rate out of range. So slowed it down to where I should be, but now it takes longer to get my steps in! Guess that's a win, because I am sitting less!
  • themedalist
    Options
    trigger: going out the door
    one thing: walk one segment of my commute (10 min)
    reward: watching spring unfold

Walking one segment of your commute is a great one thing, @allmannerofthings. Great choice! And watching spring unfold is a very rewarding reward. Thanks for posting.