Options
2»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Trigger: Getting out of the car to and from work
    One Thing: Walk a lap
    Reward: “Getting my steps in and shedding those pounds”.

Good choice, @OrlisMoonpie688. Since you get in and out of your car frequently, walking a lap is a great way of getting more steps in. Thanks for sharing your one thing!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Trigger: I set up a daily reminder on my phone (I'm test driving this trigger and time frame for a week)
    One Thing: Turning off the desk top computer earlier in the evening
    Reward: Getting some reading or coloring time in (instead of falling into internet rabbit holes, and hopefully I will also go to sleep sooner, and not be so tired in the morning.

:flowerforyou:

I like your approach, @texasgardnr. It’s good to test out a one thing and see how it works for you. And sometimes, what we really need to change is not the activity that we enjoy, but how long we do it. I hope this subtle shift allows you to get more sleep. Thanks for sharing your one thing!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Trigger: every time my husband's timer goes off(He has a timer for EVERYTHING)
    One Thing: lap around the house
    Reward: fist pump

@texasgardnr, your idea sounds great, I might try that one thing, too!

If your husband has a timer for everything and that’s your trigger, you are going to be on the move, @77tes.! Thanks for posting.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Trigger: Going on my laptop to check email, MFP. WW and other sites and sit too long.

One thing: Go online right before bed and time myself 20 minutes. Use my Ipad standing.

Reward: Yay me!!

You and @texasgardnr have chosen similar new habits, @prgirl39mfp! Using a timer is a great idea. For anyone who needs to similarly reduce their screen time and knows they would just ignore the timer, there are apps that will automatically log you out of a website if you’ve been on them too long. Thanks for posting.
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    (Trigger) Instead of getting out of bed and then sitting down to read, (one Thing) I will pick up my book and walk while I read. I walked 3 separate times today for 10-20 minutes each and added an extra 3000 steps to my day. My reward was getting to read my book without guilt AND at the end of the walk I got to see how many steps my Fitbit gave me.

Wonderful new sit less habit, @nebslp. You still get to enjoy your books but you’re much less sedentary. Win Win. Thanks for suggesting the idea.
  • themedalist
    Options
    lwintx wrote: »
    Trigger: Time for lunch!
    Sit-Less Habit: go out for a 10 or 15 minute walk during my lunch break
    Reward/Affirmation: I'm doing this because it's healthy for me than sitting for my entire lunch break

This made me smile, @lwintx! I’m glad that one of my suggested sit less habit loops was a good fit for you. Thanks for chiming in.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am behind on my days, but am working on it!
    Trigger: turning on I-pad & checking e-mails
    Sit less habit: Either stand or walk on treadmill while doing it
    Reward: getting healthier & getting my 10,000 steps in.

Also..I have been trying to get my 10,000 steps in for the last 2 months. Some days, not so successful. I also went to the American Heart Association website to see my heart rate goals for my age (68). Found out for my age & "out of shape-ness", I was trying to go too fast & heart rate out of range. So slowed it down to where I should be, but now it takes longer to get my steps in! Guess that's a win, because I am sitting less!

Great new sit-less habit, @RetiredAndLovingIt. I think it’s so important not to give up things that we enjoy, but rather find new ways to do them that don’t involve so much sitting.

Kudos to you to for being determined to make that 10,000 step daily goal. Even if it takes a bit longer, it’s a worthwhile metric to track. Thanks for sharing what you’ll be working on these next three weeks.
  • Jinantonix
    Jinantonix Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Trigger: when my fitbit vibrates to let me know I haven't managed 250 steps that hour
    One thing: stop ignoring it while I just finish what I'm doing and get up and walk until I've done the 250.
    Reward/Affirmation: Well done you!
  • themedalist
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    Trigger: when my fitbit vibrates to let me know I haven't managed 250 steps that hour
    One thing: stop ignoring it while I just finish what I'm doing and get up and walk until I've done the 250.
    Reward/Affirmation: Well done you!

Not ignoring your Fitbit’s nudge to move is a great one thing, @Jinantonix!
  • UpstateKaren
    UpstateKaren Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been following this but not writing so now....
    Trigger: the phone rings
    One Thing: the phone is at my kitchen desk so I automatically sit down and take the call. Now I will take the cordless phone and walk around the kitchen while talking.
    Reward: Less time on the phone (I don't particularly like talking on it) and more time for me! Self-pride and a smiley face on my daily calendar on the fridge if I've stuck to it!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I've been following this but not writing so now....
    Trigger: the phone rings
    One Thing: the phone is at my kitchen desk so I automatically sit down and take the call. Now I will take the cordless phone and walk around the kitchen while talking.
    Reward: Less time on the phone (I don't particularly like talking on it) and more time for me! Self-pride and a smiley face on my daily calendar on the fridge if I've stuck to it!

Love this, @UpstateKaren! I see a lot of wins. Less sitting, less phone time, more you time, pride, and smiley faces!