Living the lifestyle - Thursday, 5/3/2018

jasper60103
jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for May are:

Monday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Tuesday - Calvin2008Brian (Brian)
Wednesday - <your name could be here>
Thursday - <your name could be here>
Friday - Al_Howard (Al)

Today’s topic:

Seasonal Weight loss: Does it happen automatically or does it require a conscious effort? Is diet or activity the driving factor?

Replies

• jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Spring is finally in the air for us northerners. For the last week or so I've been enjoying more vigorous walks. Not expecting much of a weight change, but this morning I was down 2.1 lbs.
    Anyway, I'm really enjoying Spring!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    With warm weather in Key West, and keeping up my outdoor activities, I become much more interested in drinking water than eating.

Also, the fishing is better. More fish to eat.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    I trend towards a lower weight in the summer because I'm even more active than normal. I have a 200K bike ride this Saturday and a 100K on Sunday!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    I'm ready to concede that *nothing* happens automatically! I've been sedentary and unmotivated to change despite the improved weather over the past two weeks.

Getting my bike tuned up tomorrow, so maybe that will incent me to actually ride the darned thing.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    Seasonal?? Uh nope nothing automatic. I have at times gained more in summer and lost in winter through spring. Some other WWers have noticed that too. I suppose summer has longer hours and more events with friends for me.
    I lose in every season when I do the program or for now stay the same at goal. WOW gadgetgirlIL 200K bike ride. I just haven't done the 100 mile rides and up for a while but do ride every day.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    @podkey - since my opportunities for riding during the week are limited, I have to make up for it on the weekends ;-) This will be my 4th 200K for this year. I've never ridden these long distances this early in the year but since I was much more consistent with riding all winter, it hasn't been hard to ramp up the mileage. Hmmm, use or lose it in action!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    Up until injury and age I was doing the double century rides (200 miles) if not every year about every other year. My last longest ride was more in the 80 mile range. So far I have ridden 120 out of a possible 123 days this year even with some brief spats of snow and ice. I like exceeding 3000 miles per year and have done close to 7000 a couple of years ago. I am at about 1400 easy peezy miles this year with my mostly very short rides. Makes me feel good and that's what matters.