LCD and Cancer

Options
GitterFitter
GitterFitter Posts: 18 Member
I've had mCRC (lungs) since 11/2011. Chemo every other week since then.
I'm 5'9' at 280 lbs. want to get down to 240 for starters.
Would a LCD be conducive to someone with my medical condition trying to lose weight?
TIA.

Replies

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    First, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and many years of treatments.

Have you read any of the research lately about ketogenic diets as an adjunct to cancer treatment? If not, please read this article. I think it would be highly informative for you.

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/ketogenic-diet-weakens-cancer-cells/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @GitterFitter I have found LCD to be conducive for all of my health issues but I can only speak from my personal experience.

Best of success with your health.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    There's a whole lot of stuff written about cancer and Keto/Low carb. mainly I think because cancer cells feed on the sugar/glucose. Checkout Tuit nutrition for some good information and links. Also there is a lot about weight and cancer but that maybe linked because of the sugar/glucose again as that's what most people burn for fuel direct rather than the fat on a LC/Keto diet. I'm sure not everything is the same but there is certainly some really interesting reading out there and certainly no harm in looking to see of you would want to do this. Seems to me at least that it would be worth a try, but you need feel in yourself that it will help. Also this way of eating does make it much easier to loose weight as it makes people less hungry. Check it out and give it a try and good luck. <3
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Warburg effect - re: cancer cells needing glucose to survive and thrive. Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology Richard D. Feinman has some interesting blogposts on experiments being done and the mechanisms of cancer cells. Here are the archive posts on 'Cancer.' (latest is 2016) https://feinmantheother.com/category/cancer/
    Of course, we are not suggesting any medical advice as that is between you and your doctors/health professionals, but there is some very interesting science out there for reading. Good luck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    a ketogenic diet may also make your chemotherapy more effective:

http://www.rsna.org/Newsdetail.aspx?id=9472
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    First off, I am very sorry that you are dealing with this diagnosis.

While I have not personally dealt with this, I have read and heard a lot about the Ketogenic Diet combined with Fasting to aid in Cancer treatment. I highly recommend looking up Dr. Jason Fung, he is a doctor in Canada and has an amazing clinic. He has a lot of information out there about this.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Warburg effect - re: cancer cells needing glucose to survive and thrive. Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology Richard D. Feinman has some interesting blogposts on experiments being done and the mechanisms of cancer cells. Here are the archive posts on 'Cancer.' (latest is 2016) https://feinmantheother.com/category/cancer/
    Of course, we are not suggesting any medical advice as that is between you and your doctors/health professionals, but there is some very interesting science out there for reading. Good luck.

Couldn't have said that better.

Ketosis isn't a cancer cure. There is no cure for cancer. It's a biological process going on all the time; we make cancerous cells all the time, our body is just on top of things. Until it isn't for some reason. Then we develop "cancer."
    However, there is some evidence that ketogenic diets can aid treatment or prevent occurrence in some types of cancer. It is not universal across the board though, from what I've read/heard.

We can certainly make recs for further reading, but we aren't OP's medical team, so taking anything said on an interwebz forum as Gospel and beyond dispute is reckless with your health. So investigate further, please, but treatment decisions of this magnitude aren't meant to be made on a couple casual conversations online.
    Just a disclaimer. :smile:

Best wishes. :heart: