Weekly Post - 14.05.18 - 20.05.18

Options
jknight001
jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
Another brand new week, 5:2ers! We got this! Let your light shine.

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Bad news: pretty sure I got caught by the salmonella outbreak.
    Good news: I lost almost 4 pounds, I have been caffeine free for almost a week, I got out of some bad eating habits, I am alive!
    Have a great week, y'all!
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hiya...
    So i ended up with such a busy day that i made it a light one by default, kinda good i guess, and managed quite well.
    I'm yo yoing within a few pounds i've found so i get down 3 back up 2 etc down 1 up 2. I know what i have to do but you do go between feeling empowered to rebellious. The last half a stone is prooving to be stubborn.
    Hope everyone is good.
    The sugar discoveries is how calories and sugar content don't always sync/make sense. So from something healthy like yogurt with low cals per portion can be more sugar content than a mini cake with more calories. I go by calories and often weigh up the satisfaction such as, bites per calories, to establish if it's "worth it" just sugar contents are confusing as you would thibk they go hand in hand.
    All good though as i'm modifying my shopping choices further for my children.
    Any way bye for now
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    @KateNkognito omg, you take care of yourself! Glad you had some weight loss, but not that way!

@jknight001 TERRIFIC news on the test results! I’m so glad for you! I’ll let everybody know mine in October- I was The very high end of normal on several items and I’m hoping to see improvement too. You ROCK!!!

@sjgold123 my favorite light days are the ones that I realize if I skip (or eat just a tiny snack) for dinner I’ll have it down. My ‘accidental’ light days! Like you, I ‘weigh’ the satisfaction I’ll get vs the calories in an item. That has led me to eliminating some common food completely- I no longer eat bread, pasta, rice for instance.

This is going to be a very difficult week, I’m following Victor Longo’s Fast Mimicking diet again for 5 days. Kinda like 5 light days in a row. :(. This will be my third round, and supposedly after this time some of the health benefits might begin to work. So far so good, but my small amount of nuts for dinner (30 grams mixed almonds and walnuts) compared to my husband’s left over steak had me so sad! Lol

Since I’m back on the weight loss wagon (I want to lose 5-7 lb ‘sanity’ weight) this is not a bad way to start, I think!

Well, a happy week to everybody!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Hi gang!
    Back from vacation! We had a great time.
    Back to work yesterday and now heading off to Boston for three days, for work! Sigh... So no 5:2 or gym yet. Saturday I will go back to the gym and Monday will be day one back on 5:2. Yesterday I ate normal calories and will aim to do the same for rest of the week.
    Kate, hope you are feeling better! Ugh that salmonella is scary stuff.
    Hope the week goes well for everybody! I will check back in soon.
    See you soon! -Meg
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't wear you out with questions. Should you see a decrease in the scale after a fast day? I was disappointed that I did not. I don't expect to lose alot of weight just by one fast day, but I thought at least it would show decrease weight of food in my stomach.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Oh @KateNkognito, well that's NO fun at all, but the reward was good! feel better :*

@sjgold123 - I've been reading lately about the content of fat - full fat, no fat... I counted calories in any form to lose weight initially, but now that I've been lax on maintenance, I'm now reading that full fat products are better regardless of calorie content to keep you satiated longer. So I understand reading labels and totally getting confused. Sugar, to me, is added when the product is lower in fat....? I may have that wrong, but that's what I understand. The "good sugar" aka candy bars.... :s:# is a daily struggle for me!! So I'm trying to include higher fat products, yogurt, and try to have at least half an avocado each day - so far (week) it does seem to curb the sugar cravings, so I'm hopeful to continue and stick to it, to make a real change in my sugar intake.

Welcome back Meghan!!!!!! I've always wanted to go to Boston... enjoy!

Lee.... love the questions... keeps us connected! One fast day in.... well, a little wishful thinking to see results on the scale I would think, but then again, I'm not one to weigh (only about once a year to 'know'). Please take measurements - around your waist at least - that'll be fun to see where you are in 3 months. That's all it took for me to really need to buy a new pair of pants! Keep at it, sounds like you'll do great at this, and it's totally motivating for us old timers!! ;)

I'm fasting today! so far so good!! night time is the witching hour though.... bought some new nail cream to keep my hands busy~!!

• sjgold123
    Options
    Hi all, i remember you saying, mamainthekitchen, that about fats and cravings i will see if it helps for me too. I think sometimes the more i eat the more i want. We went out for tapas today mini portions of garlic prawns, potato skins, sauteed mushrooms, olives and balsami however i didn't have wine as chose to drive and didn't ask for the dessert menu and because it was booked i have fitted in over 2 hours of brisk walking to help with unknown inaccuracies on diary. Basically so i'm trying to pioritise exercise to allow for treats whilst still trying to loose llbs. It's my mum's bday this wkd so cake will be on the cards, life does make it hard!
  • jknight001
    Options
    Just checking in. Had the first fast day yesterday. Regular days today and tomorrow. Go in for my physical tomorrow morning.

@KateNkognito Yikes! Salmonella. The must have been a barf-fest. :# Hope you are feeling much better very soon.

@sjgold123 - I know what you mean. Dannon is a great example of that. They promote it as good for you but it has more sugar in it than most sugar cereals. Kinda a yogurty Captain Crunch. :) I find I need to read the labels. Regarding eating out, there are many restaurants (and websites) that list calorie counts for their food. It can help you decide what to eat that is worth the calories and what it not.

@ryenday - Is the Fast Mimic diet the one you did a few months ago? You are one tough cookie to do it several times. Hope it brings you the health benefits for all of your trouble.

@Meghan509 - Welcome back! Hope your re-entry wasn't too bad. Would love to hear what you loved best about your trip.

@Leeg5656 - Bring on those questions! It gives us a few minutes to feel like smarty-pants. ;) I have found the scale can be quite mercurial at times. So much effects weight - salt intake, monthly cycle (for females), water intake, constipation, exercise, sweating, and of course, the food one takes in. I am sure others could add more to this list. For me, I weigh once a week because I cannot take the ups and downs that can come from day-to-day. I can panic thinking I am gaining and that can lead me to eat even more (yes, I have a bad relationship with food). Weighing once a week shows me the trend without the drama, which is what I am looking for. Others in this group weigh more often some don't even weigh. Pick a time frame that works for you.

@mamainthekitchen - I think you are on to something with the full fat. I picked up a whole milk Chobani Greek yogurt from Costco and when I ate it I really filled up on it and didn't have the desire to eat more. You are leading me consider full fat products, although I am concerned the dairy fat will clog up my arteries. But researchers thought the same about eggs and now they have reversed themselves. :o

• ryenday
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hmm. Yes the Fast Mimicking Diet 5 days are what I did in January and March. I will do it In August and November too.

I don’t think I’m a tough cookie tho. It is 725 calories for 4 days and one day at about 1100 calories. Not even as low as a 5:2 light day. 5 days in a row that is tough, I need to do the research as to how long a fast this mimics. 3 days of actual fasting might be easier and have more documented health benefits. On the other hand, it isn’t broke, so should I monkey with it? Maybe stick to my plan this year and schedule a real fast next year.

The health gains are mostly theoretical at this point, but it does help keep my weight in check. I will likely need to be doing 5:2 and fasting or actively dieting part of the year to keep my weight in check - forevermore. The 1350 ish maintenance calories I have just do not satisfy and I can’t sustain that small calorie amount ‘day in day out’ on a regular basis forever.

Therefore, in my case it looks like FMD and 5:2 are the best options for living a more normal life most days and getting to enjoy food and social engagements without ever broaching the overweight category again.

Sorry if this is too much detail. Some people have been quite curious. The FMD is a result of Victor Longo’s longevity research. And Dr Mosely set me looking in Longo’s direction, so it is somewhat on topic. :)

• jknight001
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Therefore, in my case it looks like FMD and 5:2 are the best options for living a more normal life most days and getting to enjoy food and social engagements without ever broaching the overweight category again.

I am with you on that (maybe not the FMD part, yet ;)). 5:2 is the first WOE I have found that gives me some breathing room when it comes to eating. It is still restrictive but allows for some wiggle room and I like that.
  • ryenday
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »

I am with you on that (maybe not the FMD part, yet ;)). 5:2 is the first WOE I have found that gives me some breathing room when it comes to eating. It is still restrictive but allows for some wiggle room and I like that.

Can’t say that the FMD is fun, but it feels satisfying when you complete it! But, yes, I completely get what you’re saying about 5:2. If I want to go out for happy hour on Friday night with friends, I know I might want an appetizer of fried mozzarella sticks or those french fries might look really good or something like that. Because I have had two very light calorie days, that week, I can indulge.

I can afford to have those treats occasionally without either a) putting on weight or b) going hungry because those foods are not very filling and I’m out of calories.

People who can maintain on over 16 or 1700 cal a day (or wow 2000) just cannot understand. Honestly, I’m very grateful to this board. Because I find most of the people on the regular MFP boards to be way too dismissive, judgmental and smug.
  • ryenday
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Some recent photos to share :).
    6ucxnc28ll94.jpeg4o1tsegwvpkl.jpeg

Some news- I’ve been asked to make my job a full time one. There are definitely drawbacks, but we can sure use the income, so if everything works out, it looks likely.

Have a fantastic day, folks and I hope for an easy light day for the many of you I know make Thursday a light day!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Ohh ryenday, I love your eye for angles!!!!

If I’m successful today with a proper fast..... that’ll make two this week and I’ll be so proud!! Crossing fingers I’m strong like I was in 2016!! :#
  • sjgold123
    Options
    I also think 5:2 will be my forever moto. How do you find out your maintainence? Is it trial and error? A good well controlled no frills week for me i have 1400 per day and 1-2 fast days per week. Obviously rule of thumb when you look it up it says 2000 but when i was on 1700 and fast days i only lost weight the first 6 weeks. I'm going to try another fast day tomorrow. I'm trying to be committed this week as i just cannot seem to get the scales any lower. I walked for 3 hours today so that should help but i'm making cakes for my mum's birthday and she has requested lemon drizzle and millionaire shortbread so talk about temptation.
    My husband has fallen off the wagon this week having chocolate a fair bit and offering me to make himself feel better but i haven't given in ha ha
  • SpanishFusion
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I made is yesterday, 692 calories! What are some tips for not overeating the day after a light day?? Last day after didn't go so well for me...

@sjgold123 I have to make strawberry cupcakes and brownies for a family campout Saturday. The temptation is real, girl.
  • ryenday
    Options
    @Leeg5656 When I started 5:2 over eating the day after a light day was a difficult thing to avoid.

Firstly, I’d like you to know I no longer have that problem. So over time, it becomes natural to eat normally the day after a light day.

Secondly, in the beginning, I approached the day after the light day with a plan. A plan which included a specific special indulgence of a particular amount. Halo top ice cream or a small individual portion size bag of barbecue potato chips, or something I had a limited amount of so no overeating Could occur. And I planned hearty filling meals for that day that included my high satiety level foods : white potatoes or oatmeal.

Good for you in a successful day with yesterday’s light day!
  • jknight001
    Options
    The scale was kind to me this morning. Lost 1.6 lbs.

Funny thing happened this week. I had my physical, which was uneventful due to my normal blood tests, and I had planned to take a few days off of 5:2 to take a break and celebrate my normal physical. But my will resisted! I knew I had been struggling to get back on the 5:2 track and I didn't want to spoil the good 5:2 week I was having. So I just finished out my week on 5:2. Could it be that 5:2 is changing how I look at food and how I treat myself???

@Leeg5656 - Congrats on your 692 day! Woohoo! I totally agree with @ryenday. Fasting will get easier with time. And I think her suggestion to include some food you like on your normal days is a good one. Keeps me from feeling too deprived. One thing we say on the board here is "You can have it tomorrow." Meaning the fast day is just a rest from a normal food day. If you are craving something on your fast day, plan to have a bit of it the next day. That is the beauty of 5:2. It is not restrictive on what you eat but when you eat.

For those who are facing temptation this week, my thought is you could bring something lower in calories that you really like and enjoy that. Just know that being able to look fabulous and feel great makes it worth it to say "NO!" to some things now, even if others are pushing you to indulge.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • SpanishFusion
    Options
    Thank you @ryenday and @jknight001 for the good advice!
  • sjgold123
    Options
    I agree Leeg5656 planning in controlled treats stops me having a blow out and i've found the tactic tk work.
    I've lost 3llbs i'm super chuffed as i've been trying to get out walking more so it's obviously helped. I'm now past my sticking weight and 5llb away from my final goal. Just hope i'm happy once there as i seem to notice my lumps where i would like the weight to shift from more now than before. I need to do some muscle toning i think.
    Anyway bbq today and i've brought the lowest cal alternatives i can so i can feel like i'm having a feast with everyone but not overloading. I've brought popcorn as a go to snack and ice cream that are under 100 cals so i have a plan...as long as no one brings wine that is when my will power vanishes!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    Anybody watch the Royal Wedding!? So happy for Meghan and Harry. :#
    Back from a busy few days in Boston. Glad to be home again.
    Need to get the weekly shopping done and get meals ready for a week back on track. Going to get back to the gym today and looking forward to it to be honest.
    Hope everybody had a good week. Will check back again soon.