Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Carb logging

JMS11366
JMS11366 Posts: 7 Member
Hi. Please forgive me if this is an obvious question. When i log foods and mfp says what the carb content is, am i then supposed to deduct the fiber carbs from that? Is that what is called net carbs and i should stick to 20g or below a day? Thanks

Replies

• SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Basically, yes. The grams is based on your overall weight, but 20g sounds is about right for most. 5% of your overall calories from carbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    some of the entries are already keyed as "net carbs"

UK food labels list net carb values as well
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Some use net carbs (total carbs - fibre) and others just use total carbs. There is quite a variation in carbs among those in ketosis too. A really active person might eat closer to 100g of net carbs if they time it around exercise. Someone who is closer to a carnivore may have less than 5 g total carbs. Do whatever works best for you.

There is a net carb modification you can do to your diary. I can't link well on this device, but i have googled it using "caveman Keto net carbs MFP". I believe there is a link to it in the Low Carber Daily's launch pad stickies too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    20 carbs net or total should be low enough to guarantee ketosis. Know that ketosis itself is not the reason one loses weight. It is quite easy (for me) to overeat "keto food". I made a slab of pork ribs the other night and could have easily eaten 3/4 ths or all it and been way over calories.

I eat ~50 total carbs per day. My goal is to not be hungry every day. I've lost all the excess adipose and scale weight I want to lose...eating an average of 128 total carbs per day and staying in a calorie deficit. Keeping carbs lower and fat higher than my weight loss mode is far superior for me for controlling physical hunger and therefore calories.

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Here's the link to setting up net carbs if that is your preference.
    https://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/