how do you manage

ltlsnbl75
ltlsnbl75 Posts: 36 Member
Ok ladies it seems that I am always going over my grams for the day. I just finished lunch and I am already over for the day. It shows I am allowed/recommended no more than 38 grams a day (yesterday said 48 for some reason) which seems impossible for me. I haven't been good at tracking my food but I am working on it. My bad cholesterol is a little high so that is something that concerns me when it comes to my food. I am working on changing my eating habits but it is an uphill battle especially since those in my house are not as willing to adjust what they eat.
So what are some good and affordable snacks that are low in fat? Salad dressings that are yummy but lower in fat?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    grams? Grams of what?

While I shoot for a general macro outline, I honestly don't sweat going over or under on any one category on a given day. Calories are king when it comes to losing weight, so that's the main thing I'm going to worry about!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    I agree.

I've lost over 70lbs since I joined MFP and I did that exercising and not exceeding my calorie intake. Low fat things end up having sugar added into them to make them taste better for having the fat removed so it's all swings and roundabouts. Just limit those bad cholesterol foods for yourself and it should all sort itself out. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    75 % of the cholesterol in your blood is manufactured by your liver and other organs. Only 25% is affected by the foods you eat. You might want to do a bit more research on Google Scholar.
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    I always go over my fat macros, but find it doesn't matter as long as the overall calories are right. I find that low carb is eminently more achievable in terms of hunger and taste than low fat or low protein.

I agree, low fast products are not a sustainable or healthy choice. But for a yummy salad dressing try a mild vinegar (rice vinegar for example) and maple syrup. The flavor is quite intense, so you don't need much. No oils or fat.
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    It’s ok to be within 10% of the target. The target will also change to meet your daily percentage target so if you exercise, MFP will give you more calories to stay within your daily goal and therefore up the grams on your macros. It’s possible to turn it off the exercise count under the “Goals” setting. I found it easier to stay on target by not counting my exercise because the numbers stay consistently the same.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    for salad dressing i like to make my own with olive oil + balsamic vinegar+lemon juice.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    snack ideas: prepare crunchy carrots with almond butter or celery with almond butter (or replace almond butter with hummus). sometimes i eat 1/2 a green apple with almonds. blueberries are a good snack. drinking water helps too. i tend to eat nuts (brazil, almonds) but sometimes I can over do it on the nuts.