Antidepressants and clean eating

Options
Hi there, this is my first post, I am loving reading all of your post and ideas and thoughts, thank you everyone.

I have been trying to live a clean eating diet for the past month after visiting a Chiropractor who diagnosed major problems with my back and neck. His view is to only put good stuff into my body and then my body can concentrate on healing instead of processing bad foods!. Made perfect sense to me, he also said don't say I cant have that food/drink say to yourself I don't want to put that food into my body. This advise has really helped me understand what is clean and what is not.

I am having twice weekly visits to my Chiro for adjustments and I am swimming and walking for exercise and this week has been the first week that I am actively trying to loose weight which I know I need to do. I am currently 206lbs and 5' 4''. I lost a stone late last year during a breakdown and was put on Sertroline 100mg anti depressants. I have 8 months later put on at least this amount of weight again and I am frankly unhappy with my body and it disgusts me that I look as I do!!

I was wondering, if anyone else has had problems with weight gain and antidepressants and also what your thoughts are about taking them whilst living a clean eating diet. I have eliminated all other pain killers and medication and this is my last hurdle. I tried stopping taking the tablets a few weeks ago but went cold turkey which caused all sorts of side effects and weirdness that I had to put myself back on them. I really want to stop them as I feel they are responsible for a lot of my weight gain but I suppose Im scared even though I am in a much better place now than I have been for years.

I do realise that this is a very sensitive subject to some so please accept my apologies if this causes anyone any upset.

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Coming off of anti depresants should be done slowly (same as going on them), with gradual decreases in the amnt, and under the care of the prescribing doctor. Keep in mind, you are doing the exact thing right now you should be doing to prepare yourself to come off of them. Many people do not do what helps naturally with depression (exercise, eating healthy, fish oil, vitamin D, vitamin b12, meditation, mindfullness) because they are depressed. It's a vicious circle. Medicine can help to get to a place where you can begin a habit of natural help, and then slowly come off the meds.

Also, of primary importance is a good individual counselor. Most depression that people suffer from is caused by unresolved grief. There can be help for it.

Good luck to you and God bless.
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been on 150 mg of Setraline for almost three years now. I have def gained weight but that is also from eating like crap. You have probably heard it a thosand times, but DO NOT take yourself off any medication, especially antidepressants/antiphyscotics without talking to your doctor first! Trust me, I have really messed my body up by trying to do that.

Although there are natural antidepressants, such as exercise, don't assume that is the answer. You should find out what your actual diagnosis is. For example the same meds are used to treat certain types of OCD/BDD/Depression/Anxiety, all of which are very different problems. If you really want to come off the med, I recommend finding out your diagnosis, finding what triggers the sypmtoms, learn how to recognize and deal with the signs of an episode, and then talk to your doctor about a plan to come off.

I have gone through an outpatient program that open my eyes to these things more than the internet ever could. Ironically, I am now engaged to a Mental Health Couselor (I didn't meet him through counseling though!)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make my advice short and sweet (or not). But just so you know, I am speaking completely from experience, some of it very painful experience.

You can cure depression, and a whole host of other illnesses, with diet. For certain challenges, a ketogenic version (high fat) of Paleo or Primal is ideal. Also, intestinal health plays a big role in all kinds of illnesses. Fermented foods are worth exploring.

Anti-depressants are very dangerous drugs (and not always just to the person taking them). Been there and done that. I hope you find a better way. At the very least be fully informed about the drugs you are taking and pay close attention to side effects. Read the drug info!

Just because these meds are now handed out like candy does not mean they are "safe" for our bodies. They are, however, most excellent for corporate profits.

PS: my supposed psychological disorders fully, or mostly, resolved with lifestyle/diet: binge eating disorder, borderline personality disorder, severe rapid cycling bipolar disorder, PTSD, anxiety (still have a touch of social anxiety), sleep disorders, etc. I've been a guinea pig for a number of meds. I even "liked" some of them, but they did NOT make me healthier and I almost lost my life a number of times due to the side effects.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, take your meds, exercise and keep seeing your doctor. You'll see positive changes. It's like washing dishes... no one wants to do it. It just has to be done. That's the way I view eating healthy and exercising. I just do it.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Don't try to stop taking meds on your own, and I'd recommend being open to the possibility that you do need them. Some people don't, and diet and exercise can make a dramatic difference in the lives of people who don't truly need them. Diet and exercise can make a great improvement in the lives of people who still do need them. People who need them and don't take them can lead really miserable lives. I sorely regret the decade I wasted not getting this addressed properly.
  • kathivg
    kathivg Posts: 30
    Options
    I have taken an antidepressant for several years, and like many medications for chronic issues, I need to take it. I also take Vitamin D in the winter (I live in Michigan - low sunlight) to help me.

I can understand wanting to eat clean, and avoid "dirty" (processed, GMO) foods, but medication is a completely different story. There are some cancer treatments that cause people to gain weight, but an individual with cancer isn't going to stop taking those treatments because of that. I figure the same is with antidepressants...what's the trade off? It isn't worth it to me to struggle with depression to be thinner. I just want to live, and my antidepressants help me to do that...even if I'm heavier.

Personally, my medication hasn't cause weight gain, but it may be the prescription and dose you're taking. Regardless, your Chiropractor is not the one to advise you on this s/he is not qualified to make a solid diagnosis for you and cannot write prescriptions - you need to go back to a physician who can assess you, and maybe change your medication.

I hope you come to the solution that is the best for you and your journey to good health!

Kathi
  • DearJuliaG
    DearJuliaG Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kathi - well said! There are many types of anti-depressants out there, and finding the right one takes time. Eat healthy no matter what. If you feel hungry trying to restrict calories after the first 2 weeks, then you might not be eating the right foods. Veggies, beans, oatmeal and grains like Quinoa are very filling and sustaining.

Good luck in your journey.
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    I struggle with depression and have gained weight on antidepressants. But like Kathi said, I also feel like it's better to treat the depression first and the weight second. If I gain some weight on a medication that makes me feel like I can get out of bed and function each day, so be it. It's so much better than the alternative. Health is about more than just the number on the scale.

That said, I think that generally taking care of oneself (clean eating, exercise, therapy, getting enough sleep) is critical when you're dealing with depression -- and it can be so hard to do all that stuff when you're depressed. I don't know that eating processed foods prevents healing, but I do think that eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and protein will make you feel better about everything.
  • kathivg
    kathivg Posts: 30
    Options
    Sleep! Very good point! Studies about how too little sleep impacts the body/mind show that rest is key to being healthy and losing weight. Americans tend to not get enough sleep. We don't take vacations and relax like people in other countries. Their whole approach to life is much more relaxed and stress-free than in the states. We can learn a lot from them.