Obstacle Course Races/MudRuns?

Options
leah_not_leia
leah_not_leia Posts: 78 Member
Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with an obstacle course race/mud run? Not looking to try a super competitive one at the moment, mainly just looking to have fun and try it out with a group of friends in the 5k range. I'm sure some of them are more challenging than others. We were looking into possibly doing a 5k Rugged Maniac in late fall (weather would still be warm here). Please let me know your experiences or suggestions!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan.

If you want to exercise, exercise. If you want to compete, you don't need obstacle courses to do so. There are fun runs, marathons, half marathons. Etc. An obstacle course is such an easy way to hurt yourself, and then what? You won't be able to do anything. You lose, big time.

Color runs are bad because the dye can get into your lungs and kill you.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Personally, no, but I have a friend that enjoys the Spartan races and several that have done Tough Mudders.

If I could run, I'd be looking into doing one, I've always enjoyed obstacle courses and still enjoy climbing things when I can LOL. But I'm too competitive to do one since I can't really run anymore, and the frustration would ruin it for me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    MFP Friends of mine back east like the tough mudders. Personally not my thing, I prefer solo exercise 3 season, or winter race competition like biathlon and nordic skiing and snowshoeing.
    Here's a start though, @leah_not_leia: https://toughmudder.com/events/find-an-event
  • victoriainge
    victoriainge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done a tough mudder and Spartan sprint, both are 3-4 miles. They are completely out of my comfort zone, as I'm not a fan of heights, but running the course with a couple of buddies really helps. Training for one in July, working on grip, monkey bars, sand bag carry, and stair climbing. If you enter one, wear gloves and shoes that drain water and have good treads. It' is challenging for sure and be prepared to end up with a few bruises.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've done two. One was a color run and the other was a "Foam Festival." I went with friends who weren't really in to exercise, so we mostly walked. I had a blast!