Weight plateau on keto...anyone?

Hello MFP friends! I have been doing keto since mid February and am now at a halt. I have been reading about logging my food, which led me to myfitnesspal.

Has anybody on here experienced this? I heard it does happen to many of us....What did you do?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    yes...but I track measurements as well as weight, and I have found my measurements trending down even when the scale is not...so, that's good enough for me...
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    How long have you been on this "plateau?"
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    I agree, I'm hitting a stall myself and am starting to get discouraged. I haven't lost any weight in two weeks, and lost only a pound or so this month. I'm not sure if I should lower my carbs, or redo my macros, or what I should do. :disappointed:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I have been gaining a little very slowly over the past several months, but that is expected based on the amount of calories I'm eating.
  • AmineJubaili
    AmineJubaili Posts: 1 Member
    If you're hitting a plateau, I guess it might mean you would have to start going on a caloric deficit by increasing activity (weight training/cardio) and or reducing food intake but make sure you are getting enough micronutrients. My fitness pal will help track this
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    The first 3 months of my weight loss was lazy keto (just counting carbs). Well, that stopped working because I must have still been eating too much of on-plan foods, so I came to MFP and started logging calories as well. I started losing again right away. I went on to lose about 75 more pounds.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Hello MFP friends! I have been doing keto since mid February and am now at a halt. I have been reading about logging my food, which led me to myfitnesspal.

Has anybody on here experienced this? I heard it does happen to many of us....What did you do?

I tracked my food on MFP during low carb weight loss and measured many things but didn't own a food scale. A couple years into maintenance I decided to try keto for reason other than weight management. I bought a food scale and used it. I wasn't about to gain all my weight back eating 9 calorie/gram fatty foods by guessing the amounts. Without a food scale, I would have been eating way more calories than I thought.

Visually, I was accustomed to seeing more volume on my plate full of vegetables and a little meat. To this day, my dinner is usually on a small luncheon plate versus our dinner plates. Tiny, fatty servings look so sad and lonely on a dinner plate.

A food scale might be helpful if you're not losing.

• xDaniDragonflyx
    I definitely agree with the food scale! I've had one for a year or more now and I love it! I weigh everything!
    One thing that was suggested to me was cut out my Mios, because of the artificial sweetener Sucralose which is in them. So starting to day, I've cut them out of my diet. I'll see how this does me by Sunday and if I can get some weight off again.
    Also, I do walk a mile and a half to two miles 5x a week, so that helps me get off my butt. And nearly every day, I come in below my calorie count by a few hundred, so that isn't the problem. I'm thinking that Mios have been sabotaging me. :disappointed: Guess I'll see on Sunday.
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Sucralose is going to be tough for me to lose. I have a hard time drinking water. I have a urge for sodas that I don't like. To bridge it, i drink the sweetened sparkling water. They are 1 liter for 50 cents. I drink about 3 a day. It's worked, so I haven't stopped. I guess one day I'll need to. But I haven't noticed a problem with the sucralose yet.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited May 2018
    And nearly every day, I come in below my calorie count by a few hundred, so that isn't the problem. I'm thinking that Mios have been sabotaging me. :disappointed: Guess I'll see on Sunday.

I had a 6 week stall that I could not figure out for the life of me!! I was doing everything right... everything! And I was under calories every day... it didn't make sense.

Then, I ate my full calories one day and had a "woosh" of weight loss. So I ate my allotted calories all week and lost a little more every day.

Our bodies have a sweet-spot for fuel. Too much and we store it away, too little and we don't want to burn our reserves.

If you're stalling, try eating the amount you're supposed to eat according to your preferred macro calculator/MFP... in my case I was totally surprised that eating a bit more was actually the key to breaking my stall!

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    When I get tired of a stall, I measure everything and reduce my daily calories by 200. That has always gotten me losing again. Calorie creep with estimated servings is an issue for me.

The advice to take measurements is a good one. I had one six week stall where I lost 5 inches on my waist measurement - no kidding. It seemed as if every time I got a new pair of jeans they were falling off the next week.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    @River_Goddess I'll definitely try to up my calories to where I'm supposed to be, but I really didn't think 1300/1600 was too low or too bad. :confused:

@2t9nty I measure all my foods now as it is, and am really diligent about putting every bite I take into MFP so it's accounted for. I also take my measurements once a month, on the last day of the month, so I hope that next week I have some telltale numbers, be it the scale or the measurement tape. ^_^

I have stopped using Mio, cold turkey! And I think it's what I needed, because I am doing this thing where I pee every hour! Maybe it's a whoosh? Either way, I do feel a ton better than I was just last week, and I can't believe it. Mios are so tasty tho! Still, I am happy to report that I think I am back on track. :smile: