Breath Acetone >50ppm

Options
AtLeastOnceMore
AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
I've been on keto for about 4 months and am approaching 12kg lost. I have been testing my breath acetone twice a day using a Ketonix for the last 3 months and, after a period of struggling to get to 4ppm, I've stayed fairly consistently between 5-20ppm. In the last few weeks, however, my morning breath analysis before breakfast is spiking to >50ppm. I initially put it down to an anomaly but it's becoming consistent. Can anyone with more experience than me explain why the sudden jump?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm afraid I don't know what the normal range is for those so I can't help much.

How is yur blood glucose? Maybe that has fallen so ketones are on the rise?
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mate. Still no answer but I figure it'll level itself out. =)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Let us know when it does. :)
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I struggled with my Ketonix. I could blow twice in a row within minutes and get different results....I know it's important to blow consistently and I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it I guess.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I struggled with my Ketonix. I could blow twice in a row within minutes and get different results....I know it's important to blow consistently and I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it I guess.

I have had several of the $15 versions off of eBay and you are not the problem I am certain. These things are more GO or NO GO gauges for a quick Yes or No on being in ketosis at some level BUT not at what level.

In my case my first blow before I got out of bed (started moving) often gave me my high reading. Plus these meters seem to start reading higher after using them a month or two I noticed in my case.

Beware these are lost calories that you ate but can not ever burn. :)
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    At the time I was eating keto to try and help my seizures, so thought buying the Ketonix would help me know where I was at. I knew I was in ketosis by my nasty acetone breath (LOL) but wanted to know where my levels were at. But like I said....Never could get much of a consistent reading with the thing!