At 46 yrs old, I'm doing my first 5k (baby steps)

Options
BigBaldy1
BigBaldy1 Posts: 1 Member
So after years of doing it "my way", I finally listened to my wife and started tracking my food. Turns out that after a month of doing this I've lost 10 lbs. Weird! I've also been a vegetarian for a month. For a guy who is use to eating meat at every meal, this change has been surprising easy with no cravings. I also tore my tricep and had surgery about 10 days ago, so I'm only doing 30 minutes on the stationary bike 3x/wk. Looking forward to getting back into the gym. Inspired by my wife and daughter, I'm also going to do my first 5k this fall (baby steps), and commit to 5 runs in 2019. My wife's happiness if off the charts when she runs, and I'm jealous and inspired. I know 10lbs/month is not something I can keep up with. My goal is 1 1/2 lbs / wk. I'm 258 now, and want to be 240 by hockey season this fall. I think that's doable.

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started!! c25k is a great program that worked well for me.
  • Jedi_Jo
    Jedi_Jo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well done on making a start.

I changed my lifestyle nearly a year ago. I became a vegetarian, completely changed me eating habits and recently started C25K. I’m know on week 4.

Keep up the good work.
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all the positive changes you've already implemented! The runner's high is no joke; those endorphins get seriously addictive. :smile: Good luck and keep us posted!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I start training for my first 5K this coming Tuesday. (Race is August 31st).
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I start training for my first 5K this coming Tuesday. (Race is August 31st).

Are you still doing the race? Good luck for tomorrow if so!