Colonoscopy after VSG or Bypass

Options
loveshoe
loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
Has anyone here had a colonoscopy post surgery? I have one coming up for next week and I'm concerned about the fluid to clean my system out. They did give me something for bariatric patients but I'm concerned about how fast it will pass through my stomach and cramping.

Replies

• HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The prep ain’t pretty, but try to make it through even if it’s gross. The first time, it was an issue because it was so much to drink. I felt so full after like 5 swigs and because I didn’t finish, they had to reschedule my test. The 2nd and 3rd times, I finished the drink and did the enemas and then laxatives (not sure if these are your instructions as well, this is just what my doctor told me) Instead of trying to chug it down (which a lot of people do because it’s gross) I sipped it and gave myself a couple of hours to do so. Stick with clear liquids, broth and popsicles (but not red or purple) and have a book, iPad, iPhone or tablet because when you do go the bathroom, you will be in there for awhile. You may experience something I like to call, “Booty Juice”. That’s when there’s left in your system but still feel like you have go...but nothing really comes out. Your booty can get sore. Tuck pads or an ice pack are great to use when your booty is on fire and help tremendously. Doctors basically want you cleaned out so they see with the camera work.
  • loveshoe
    Options
    HappyKat, thank you for the info and advice. I'm wondering if I should do a liquid diet or a semi-fast the day before. I didn't have any issues the last time but I still had a full stomach then.
  • OwOwBrickHouse
    OwOwBrickHouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My gastro recommends a low-fiber diet for 3-4 days prior. This made a huge difference in the unpleasantness of the prep. They also use Miralax, which I mixed with PowerAde Zero. All programs are different, just as in bariatric surgery, but this, as well as Dulcolax, is what my gastro uses.
  • loveshoe
    Options
    I was given Suprep, which tasted like bad cough syrup mixed with bad liquor. OwOw, I did do a light diet leading up to the cleanse day and I agree with you it did help. I'm just glad it's over with. I did have 1 polyp and the doctor said my high fiber, healthy (veggie/fruit), limited red meat, and exercise was probably helping me. Seven years ago I had 4 polyps removed. Seven years ago I also had a poor diet (fast food) and no exercise.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had mine last year, and had my sleeve late 2014. I did have a hard time trying to get all the liquid down in the time frame they wanted me to drink it. I am able to sip but I'm not able to guzzle down fluids. I did get it down but it was a struggle.
  • clsumrall1
    clsumrall1 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Good luck. The Doctor is very careful so no worries
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I just had one and was worried about the prep. They made me drink the entire gallon. It was awful. I thought I'd lose about 10lbs with the constant bathroom trips. I actually gained 6!! I actually had an endoscopy to look at my stomach and check my esophagus at the same time as the colonoscopy. They were checking my throat for erosion because I have heartburn if I don't take a Prilosec daily. All was well, on both ends :smile: