Substituting IF for Exercise

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
Due to a couple of 60 year old minor mishaps (tore meniscus and eye floater) I was not able to exercise for about 3 months.

I usually burn about 600 cal per day doing an hour of exercise. Four to six days a week. For me it's the difference between weight maintenence and weight gain.

So I substituted IF for exercising. I only gained 5 lb over those three months instead of 12 or more.

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This is crazy and I personally believe I was given this challenge for a reason so I am not complaining. Last October I had rotator cuff surgery. Two weeks later I injured my right knee and they could not do anything due to the recent surgery. A few weeks later I injured the left knee and then developed what I believe was a small rotator cuff tear in the right shoulder. I could NOT MOVE! I spent six months sleeping in a recliner with a bedside commode beside it. My ONLY exercise was forcing myself out of the house to go to physical therapy. The great thing was that was when I became motivated to stick with the intermittent fasting and I lost over 40 lbs during that time. I still have problems with my knees if I sit for long, but I have some a really LONG way. I am very VERY fortunate that the knee injuries both responded to physical therapy and I was shocked when I was told by my PT that I was actually lucky because most of his job these days consists of helping people recover from surgeries they did not need in the first place and if the circumstances were different I would probably have had one or two knee replacements!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    @DreamOn145 that is a great weight loss under the worst of circumstances. I do not exercise nearly as much as I used to do, since finding fasting. I do mix up IFing and extended fasting. Once you learn you are not going to die if you skip a meal or snack, life gets so much easier.

Wishing you full recovery from the injuries.

Glad to see you posting again, too.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Well done, Janet! Sorry to hear what a trial you have been through but, great work using IF to overcome your circumstances! Have you heard of cold laser therapy? It's low-level laser ... you might look into it for your knees. We are having our dog treated with it now, as our vet recommended it to us for her arthritic hips and joint problems. It has made a tremendous difference. The vet herself had experience getting treatments on her own knees, with great success. Just thought I would mention it. ~ Kathy
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Kathy, wishing you well while healing. You can lose weight without huge amounts of exercising. I don't do near what I use to when eating higher carbs, lower fats and protein. LCHF is my maintenance diet. I do one strength training class a week, a zumba dance class, and I walk 5-10 k steps at least 5 days a week, some quick, short yoga sessions about 3 x a week and that is it. I am a slug the rest of the time. So you can do this. Hugs
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Fortunately wearing a brace on my ankle is enabling me to start walking again. The down side is, my dog is so old that she has become the slug when it comes to movement! So I have to get out there on my own and put some time in without a leash in hand. I definitely also need some strength training as my recent blood work shows my muscle tone is really poor. So... online videos here we come!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    edited;
    So... online videos here we come!

I'm a fan of jessicasmithtv. She has good beginner level to advanced videos, many are 15-20 mins., but she has much longer ones as well. Check her out on youtube.com