Do holidays worry you?

Options
HappyKat5
HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
Eating season starts tomorrow for me, it’s Memorial Day (and for those that celebrate it.) Every month for me until 2019 with consist of some big food event. Either it’s an anniversary, birthday, Father’s Day, 4th of July, Back to school, Halloween, Thanksgiving...Christmas. Oh, and New Years Eve and Day. I know I will be around food. Good food, good company and sometimes it’s free, my Inlaws always host us and the food is so good! Anyways, I thought it would be fun to share some tips or advice to help us thru this season.
Here’s mine. I always eat “appetizer” style. I get a tablespoon of all the foods I want to try or taste. If I really like something and I have more room to eat, I already know what I want a second time.
Anyone care to share?

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Tonight was my husband and my family birthday dinner, and this is the start of our "birthday season", too--that will go straight through until Christmas, lol.

I try to eat the foods I *should* eat first--meat and veggies so I have less room for the things not on plan. Like you, I allow myself to have a "taste" of those things, but not much, and I make sure I don't eat so much that I don't feel well.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do better with Thanksgiving and Christmas than I do with the summer. Those are individual events for me. With summer, we have a lake house and there are near daily get togethers with friends - cocktail parties with appetizers, barbecues, dinners out... so much entertaining that lasts all summer. And I am next door to my Dad and his wife and I do much better when I’m eating alone and controlling my own menu. But we tend to eat dinners together and I lose some control (mostly because they want to eat hours later than I want to and then I end up snacking to make it to dinner).

To sum up, summer=hard!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Weight loss phase:
    I bring a dish to potlucks that I know I can eat. Deviled eggs, meat and cheese tray or a veggie tray. Healthy sweet option. Strawberries dipped in hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup. I don't feel I'm missing out or deprived.
    Maintaining phase:
    I choose what I want to indulge in. If the scale moves up...I go back to basics.
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was pretty shocked at my ability to adhere to my plan. I think it's partly the new-hasn't-worn-off thing. So I'm still in "diligent mode" and I know my honeymoon period is winding down. So I came back the same weight I went up. So the holidays don't bother me.

But, last night we went to the ballpark to watch our minor league team play, we will do that a lot this summer. And their food sucks and you can't bring food in--so I've been trying to find just one meal that works--the hotdogs make me feel so sick--even without bun. Last night I had my first partial beer--about 4-6oz of Mich Ultra. I used to love it on hot days over ice, with lots of lime. Well, I stirred it to decarbonate it--and it worked. But I was just--why am I drinking this? I'm not enjoying it at all!! So I didn't even finish it. And I had the "guts" of taco salad without shells with pork as the meat. I was up 1 1/2lbs this morning. :neutral: SO NOT WORTH IT!!!

I know it's only water, but I think that we have to let the momentum really lift and compel us during weight loss mode. I agree with fit_chickx about the maintaining phase. And love her idea of bringing at least 1 dish you know you will be able to eat!!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    This is about the earliest I've seen a "holiday" post lol. But really when you think about it practically the whole year there's a "food" holiday near term. That and birthdays weddings parties showers Super Bowl... etc. The average American probably attends 15-30 "events" a year that large amounts of food are present and expected to be ate.

I honestly try not to think about the food part of these events too much. Food is a WONDERFUL part of the celebration but the personal connections mean more to me now. I may overindulge a bit sometimes but I know there are other days where I eat really well or maybe exercise a bit more. It all evens out. So far for 3+ years this approach has worked for me.
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat of constant parties and events during the summer. So far I'm doing good with food, but I do find myself having a glass of wine (ugh).

Tonight is my son's BD dinner at Fogo de Chao. I'm going to opt out of meat altogether, and get the market table, which is just a fancy salad bar, instead.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had to put this question in two categories, summer holidays versus winter holidays. Summer holidays are the easiest, there are usually salads, grilled veggies, and meats. It's easy to stay on track with summer holiday foods. Winter holiday foods seem to be carb and fat heavy. Maybe it's the temperature difference. Winter holidays are more difficult for me because of the food offerings.
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Very good point! For me, summer holidays mean more alcohol, though.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @HelenGrace203 This is me too! After my gastrectomy, I can no longer do mixed drinks. Too much sugar and I will dump (I feel a post coming about this
  • rll22
    rll22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just going out in public scares me since there is too much temptation out there! My will power hasn't been that good in the past and it's harder when you see the junk you shouldn't be eating around every corner! So any kind of family get together or outing is hard!