Maltodextrin and Starbucks Sugar Free Vanilla

Options
ErniesMom863
ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
Hello LCHF peeps! So about a month or so ago I decided to buy Starbucks sugar free vanilla syrup for the house so I could add it to my usual coffee of coffee, HWC and stevia. I’ve noticed incredible bloat even when my eating has been on point. I actually became afraid to weigh myself because I was like WTH. My good is typically meal prepped at home and whole. Anyway, I realize now it’s the Maltodextrin and probably the sucralose in the syrup. Needless to say I’m taking it to my office so someone can take it home. The disappointment is I was also making a Starbucks Keto pink drink at home with it. May try vanilla extract and stevia in the pink drink. Hope this helps someone.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any issues with artificial sweeteners, but it seems to be common to have digestive issues or increased cravings for some.

I really love that syrup - I bought it for a trip and just recently ran out.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't have it that often to have noticed a problem. I can't chew gum--not sure what's in sugarless gum--but I have had no issues with stevia or Swerve, which I have regularly, and I use Splenda if I'm somewhere that doesn't have stevia and haven't had any issues from that, either.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This link was posted in another thread in the other LC Forum and may be beneficial to folks here:
    http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html

I've not noticed problems with artificial sweeteners for myself EXCEPT sugar alcohols. They ALL (that I have had) cause me major digestive blow-ups :o and blow-outs :o in all respects. Anything that seems to end in an "itol". sorbitol, malitol, xylitol, etc. That is generally what is in the sugar free gums and breath fresheners (that I tried and had issues with).

OOPS! ETA: Erythritol is an exception for me with the "itols". It is in many things and causes me NO digestive issues.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out sucralose from my diet, because it was stalling me. I didn't think it was giving me cravings, but once I stopped using it, I had intense cravings like nothing I've ever had before since starting keto! So every body is different.

I use SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia drops in my tea every morning, and those don't seem to affect me as much. So I think some stevia is okay for me. Just have to find what does and does not work for you. It's all trial and error. :smile:
  • shirli2018
    shirli2018 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to check the labels. Pure stevia in liquid is fine but most brands add carbs to their stevia or mix it with other sweeteners
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sucralose causes gut lining issues, so the bloat, etc. makes sense. Most folks have to cut sucralose (a lucky few don't react).

I mainly stick with stevia or stevia blends. Watch the maltodextrin or dextrose, as you saw. They're a higher glycemic impact than sugar.

Styr is a stevia based drink mix akin to Mio.
    Walmart has a few that only have stevia.
    Sweet Leaf brand Stevia makes "Sweet Drops." (These are available as both coffee additions and water enhancers.)

Additionally, yacon syrup and lacuma powder are said to by low GI and better tasting and more natural sugar swaps for long term health...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and stick with liquids over powders wherever possible. Fillers are horrible on us.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Oh, and stick with liquids over powders wherever possible. Fillers are horrible on us.

This is powder. It contains nothing but stevia. No fillers.

Trader Joe's has something similar about the same price. I prefer them to the liquid. Doesn't drip off the side of a dropper and therefore make things too sweet. It comes with a little "spoon" inside the container that equates to a serving. Getting a half scoop is easier than a half drip to me.

Some of the liquid stevias have a glycerin base versus an alcohol base and to me they are even more tricky to control the "drips" because they tend to be big, long drips.

600+ servings for $5.99 and as mentioned, no fillers. Available on Amazon if there are no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in the area.

ab3mz64brz2w.png
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

This is powder. It contains nothing but stevia. No fillers.

Trader Joe's has something similar about the same price. I prefer them to the liquid. Doesn't drip off the side of a dropper and therefore make things too sweet. It comes with a little "spoon" inside the container that equates to a serving. Getting a half scoop is easier than a half drip to me.

Some of the liquid stevias have a glycerin base versus an alcohol base and to me they are even more tricky to control the "drips" because they tend to be big, long drips.

600+ servings for $5.99 and as mentioned, no fillers. Available on Amazon if there are no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in the area.

ab3mz64brz2w.png

Interesting! I knew there were some stevias without fillers. And I guess I'm spoiled. I have droppers for my liquid stevias. No drips! LOL