Having a few drinks with an old friend soon and want to ensure I don't mess up carbs!

Sesquy
Sesquy Posts: 58 Member
I'm only planning to have 1 or 2 drinks, probably a scotch or whiskey rocks with no soda/etc. and a water to cut it with. I am very picky with liquor so I only enjoy a few things.

I'm not a beer fan so I won't be touching the stuff, but I wanted to know if I need to worry about surprise carbs in some brands of Scotch, etc.? I don't know where we'd be going or what brands the bar carries. I have a cheat sheet list, but some MFP entries for Scotch have carbs so I'm like, uh oh!

Sorry if this is a weird post. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I don't drink but I sure have read A LOT of folks saying it is really easy to get super tipsy quickly on alcohol when eating keto so just wanted you to be aware of that.
  • Sesquy
    Sesquy Posts: 58 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I don't drink but I sure have read A LOT of folks saying it is really easy to get super tipsy quickly on alcohol when eating keto so just wanted you to be aware of that.

Very aware! Thank you though. I read that as well but it's good to hear it outside of the articles.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    there are no carbs in 'hard' alcohols such as gin etc it's just you have to watch the mixers and the calories depending how sensitive you are. Also if you do go up a pound or so it will come off quickly again and isn't the end of the world!! Just start again the next day and away you go! Also make sure you have some non carb nibbles with you for the munchies, you know what it's like when alcohol lowers your resistance there come those high carb snacks if you aren't careful! Oh and a tip, if you are having soda water with your drink have the soda in one glass the alcohol in another and add the alcohol to the soda, feels and smells much stronger that way and lasts longer!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    If there are MFP entries for Scotch with carbs, then it's probably someone who has entered it how they prepare their drink and not just plain Scotch.

I don't think plain Scotch should ever have carbs, regardless of brand.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Make sure to get extra electrolytes, too. Alternate between alcohol and water/electrolyte drinks if possible. Otherwise the hangover the next day will make you pray for death.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Otherwise the hangover the next day will make you pray for death.
    :)